50. Ought Not to Cry Over Spilled Milk

Start from the beginning

"Your–" Umbridge seemed pained to say the word, "–father.. is an evil man. He has done bad things, Miss Black. You understand, surely. He killed your aunt, would have killed your mother if the Ministry hadn't–"

"He killed nobody," hissed Cassie, her eyes narrowed. "My father is an innocent man. The Ministry is too close-minded to see that he has done no wrong. He didn't even get a trial."

"Because he is a guilty man."

"He is not!" Cassie's voice had risen an octave and even she realized how whiney she sounded, but she cleared her throat and continued. She had to watch her words very carefully. "He is as guilty of murder as I am."

   "He is guilty, Miss Black."

   "May I be excused?" she said, annunciating every syllable as she tried to keep herself calm. She pinched her own wrist.

   "Go, girl," said Umbridge after a moment, obviously disappointed her method had not worked.

   What Umbridge did not know was that she had successfully planted a seed in Cassie's mind; a seed that continued to blossom throughout her fifth year.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Cassie did not enjoy the sight that beheld her when she returned to the common room that night.

   The moment the Fat Lady swung open, she was greeted with a roar of sound. Ron came rushing toward her, beaming brightly and holding a splashing tin of butterbeer.

   "I did it! I'm in! I'm Keeper!" he cheered into her ears. She grimaced and tried to play it off as a smile, nodding enthusiastically as Ron ran off to celebrate his win.

   She slipped effortlessly through the crowd, and had almost made it to the spiral staircase leading to her dormitory when a hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her aside.

"And where do you think you're off to, Black?" said Fred, while George thrusted a spilling mug of butterbeer into her hands. "It's a party!"

"I'm not really in the mood," she grumbled, pushing the butterbeer back toward George's chest. Both twins frowned and shared a look before pulling her off to the quietest corner of the room. She protested as much as she could, but their years as Beaters and tall physique bested her immediately.

"Out with it," said George forcefully. Both him and Fred had their arms crossed and a serious expression on their faces.

"Out with what?" Cassie asked cluelessly. She feigned a yawn. "Y'know, I'm knackered, I think I'll–"

"Nope," said Fred, grabbing her by the upper arm and spinning her back around to face them. "Can't get out that easily."

   "You're both the most insufferable–"

   "–Insufferable warts who ever had the audacity to wart," they finished in sync, rolling their eyes. Fred added, "You've told us enough, woman. When will this unending slander come to a halt?"

"When you decide to let me go to bed in peace, maybe," she said. "May I please go to bed, o' gracious ones?" Then she slipped away, without waiting for a response.

   "You can't run forever, Black!" shouted Fred over the roar of music and laughter from the crowd. "We will see you tomorrow!"

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

They did not see her tomorrow.

   "She's not coming down," said Hermione reproachfully as she descended the spiral staircase. She collapsed into a fluffy armchair, exhaling deeply. "She's already missed breakfast and lunch. I assume Atticus is who we really need, but ever since Umbridge started enforcing the rules, boys can't enter girls dormitories–"