⋙ Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Mere seconds later the door swung open. Troye stood there, biting his lip nervously. He was immaculately dressed, even more alluring than usual - if that was possible.

“Hey gorgeous,” I said. For once he was the one blushing.

“Hi.”

“Ready to go?”

“Of course,” he said, stepping outside the house into the bitter air.

“Have a nice time!” someone called from within the house.

“See you later,” Troye called back, closing the door. He turned back to me, and grinned. His arms opened up, and I took no time to enter them. Engulfed by his presence I was sent to a paradise of sorts. His familiar scent was like a second home to me now. His arms were protection against the winds surrounding us.

“Is it weird that I’ve missed you?”

“Only if you think it’s weird that I missed you too.”

Someone knocked on the window. I looked up towards the noise. Two young faces were pressed against the window, watching us with eager eyes. They waved at me so enthusiastically I thought their hands were going to fall off.

“Urm, Troye,” I pulled away, pointing at the faces. Troye promptly looked round, then groane.

The window started to open, with voices pouring out of it. Troye was already walking away by then. He grabbed onto my sleeve, pulling me after him. His tight grip didn’t loosen until we were a fair distance away from the house. When we reached the car, I sped ahead of him, so I could open the door for him.

With a bow I said “You’re carriage awaits m’lord.”

His head tilted backwards as his body shook with laughter. He got in, and I rushed to the other side of the car.

“Ty… what’s this?” Troye asked, holding up a banana skin that had been under his chair. There was slight mould growing on it. No doubt it’d been there for a long time.

I shrugged. “It’s for science.”

“But you hate science.”

“That’s why I’m conducting my own experiments,” I said, trying to act as if it was obvious. No way was I admitting that it was just litter and I was too lazy to clean it up. “Now can you please put it back where you found it? I don’t want you interfering with my investigation.”

With one last smile at Troye, I pulled out the road, and headed towards the destination. I hadn’t told him what we were doing, in case it didn’t work out for whatever reason. Besides, the element of surprise always worked well in films.

Troye was still determined to question where we were going. “Is it by the beach? How far away is it? Does it involve exercise? Does it involve eating?  Will we be hiding a body? Do you even know what we’re doing?”

“Trust me, I have a good plan. Just wait and see.”

He crossed his arms, and pouted. “I don’t like not knowing where we’re going.”

“It’ll be worth it… hopefully.”

“It better be.” Despite his words I could hear joviality in his tone. “If I don’t get to know where we’re going, can I at least choose the music?”

“Go ahead,” I said.

He fiddled with the radio stations for a millennium, saying that none of the music was good enough. All of a sudden the divine voice that was Beyoncé’s filled the car. We glanced at one another, nodded, then had it playing at full volume. We screamed along to Halo, not caring who could hear.