XXXVI. "Sick" Day

"Hey, we're going to be late for school if we don't leave soon," Haruhi said from the other side of my bedroom door

"Um, I'm not feeling too well, Haruhi," I spoke barely loud enough for her to hear me. I haven't even bothered to get out of bed yet. "Just go without me, kay?" I suggested. It wasn't a lie. I really didn't feel good, but that's most likely because I didn't sleep last night.

I had too many thoughts on my mind to be able to settle down. Although it was unlikely, I felt that if I fell asleep, he'd come back especially since I was the most vulnerable asleep.

"Okay," She replied. I know she was still standing there because I haven't heard her retreating footsteps yet. "Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Haruhi asked.

"Yeah," I answered. "I hope so," I added in a whisper. "I'll see you when you get back, Haruhi."

"Alright. Bye, Touma! Make sure you get up and eat something soon, okay? Don't skip any meals!" Her voice was getting quieter as she spoke, so she must have been walking away. I hummed, agreeing with what she said, even though she couldn't hear me.

The thought of eating made me feel sick. I already have this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I knew I should take Haruhi's advice. I'd only feel worse if I didn't eat. Anyway, it was Ranka's day off, so he'd probably force me to eat anyway. 

The house fell silent again, and I rolled over in my bed. I didn't want to go outside knowing he was out there somewhere. I thought I was over all of this. I thought I wasn't scared of him anymore, but those feelings were easily revived once I heard his voice.

Seeing him not even a foot away from me brought back some memories that I tried to oppress for so long. I had almost forgotten about everything too until he called me that name... Uma.

My father- I mean, Tamotsu had this weird delusion that everything would've been way better if I was a girl. He wanted me to be his daughter instead of his son, so he would call me that name and force me to act like a girl. I don't know where he got that name, but I was assuming it was because it was the last three letters of my first name.

~

"Tch, you're so pathetic. You like to spend all your time with that one boy, don't you? What are you? In love with him?"

"Z-Zach is my friend," I stuttered out. I kept my eyes on floor, and I could see his legs pacing back and forth in front of me.

"What did I tell you about lying to me?!" He shouted. I flinched and dug my chin deeper into my chest as if that would somehow help. "You should've been a girl," he spat after a few seconds of silence. "Yeah, you should of," he repeated with more confidence. "You know what?" He stepped forward and grabbed a fistful of my hair. He yanked my head up so that I was looking at him. "From now on, I'll call you... Uma." He let out a deep chuckle and dropped his hand to his side. "You'll be such a cute little girl, Uma."