He clears his throat, "Come home safe." 

Marie gasps and flies towards her daughter to stop her, but she seized by her husband before she can make it and is held in a tight embrace. She looks up at him, fear and confusion etched onto her beautiful face, but she cannot find words to question him. 

"I beg your pardon Mr and Mrs Lenoir," Florence mutters apologetically, tucking her head into Clarissa's shoulder. Clarissa nods to her father and nudges Whisper into a trot before he can change his mind. Whisper is in a steady canter when they reach the end of Queen Anne's Gate, Marie and Silas behind in the distance. 

The early morning light is advantageous as little to no people walk the streets and the clear dawn means that Clarissa can navigate the streets easily at this fast pace. Whisper is responsive to the lightest touch and can sense the urgency of her riders, she flies past butchers and bakers her long long stride never faltering. 

Clarissa smells the fire before she sees it. They are passing Westminster pier when the charred smell of wood and oil reaches her nose.  It hangs heavy in the air, like thick smog, alive and consuming. She raises her head and sees thick smoke billowing in the sky, it looks like a black tornado of rage consuming the light of the morning sky. 

It is only minutes before Victoria North port comes into view, except it's no longer a port; it's a giant mass of red hot swirling flame. The flames lick up every wooden beam, and spread, devouring the nearest boats.  The people surrounding it are like tiny pinpricks trying to battle a monster of pure rage and hatred, their tiny fists and silent cries are enveloped by the fire. 

"Oh, my word." Florence breathes over her shoulder and into her ear. 

Clarissa is silent, she pushes Whisper until they are less than 20 meters away from the fire. Then she jumps off the horse and runs to where Peter is yelling orders at the groups of men gathered around. It's a maze of bodies and frantic energy, she hears children crying over the rush of flames but she doesn't look back. 

"Use the water from the river." Peter shouts over the roar of flames, "Target the fuel, the whisky and wood. Keep it away from the other ships!" His face falters when he sees her in the crowd, but he continues to give orders, "Grab any container you can and move to the river, the fire brigade are on their way but we need to stop it from spreading before they arrive. Now move!!" 

The men scatter, most of them heading towards the group of people already in the river, throwing water onto the flame. Most use bucket and cups but a few are simply using their hands to scoop the water. 

"What are you doing here? Peter asks roughly as she heads over to him, "Women and children are to be evacuated away from the fires." 

"I am not here as a woman or a child." She tells him as she follows him towards the port. "These are my people and this is my port." 

Peter looks like he wants to argue but then there is a large cry and bellowing sound. Everyone looks across the river where one of the boats at Strada port has exploded in a cloud of fire and wood. 

"Shit!" Peter swears, he grabs the collar of the nearest man. "Get a group over to Strada now!" 

His voice carries such authority that all the man can do is nod. Clarissa watches as the two ports burning with a fiery vengeance. Most of the locals are out, fighting this beautiful blazing creature but their efforts seem to be having little effect. 

"If you are staying then you need to help," Peter says snapping her out of her thoughts as he shoves a bucket into her arms. She looks down at the wooden container, unsure what to say but Peter races off before she can reply. She stares at the fire, feeling sick to her stomach as people who come too close to the orange abyss are swept into its burning tongue.