Chapter 9: Commander's Club

Start from the beginning

Katyusha: Why? Why would he so desperately want to win for some no good school?! We could've had him for all that matters!

Darjeeling lowered her head in shame and rubbed her arm, slightly creasing the navy blue jumper that she donned.

Darjeeling: Well, we had the chance to you see. It's just that we didn't think he would be good enough. And obviously you didn't either.

Katyusha: This is not true! I never recieved news of him. Nonna!

Nonna cowered slightly and faced Katyusha, a guilty look dawning upon her face. Her rosy red cheeks now flushed with shame.

Katyusha: You did the paperwork for these pilots, so why was I not informed of him?

Nonna: I'm so sorry Katyusha, I disregarded him thinking he would never have a place here.

Katyusha: Oh you!

She sighed and took a seat, stirring the teaspoon thoughtfully while pondering her options.

Darjeeling: Oh well, I'm sure you'll meet him before the match.

Katyusha: How? We're up North and they're.....

Darjeeling: On their way for the meeting. Oh and on the note of his passion for winning.....

Katyusha's eyes widened at the realisation, her hands slightly quivering on the table.

Katyusha: He knows, doesn't he?

Darjeeling: Yes Katyusha, he does. But let's forget this for now, as we have a meeting and ball to attend to.

Katyusha: Wait, a ball? Like football?

Nonna pat Katyusha's head and lifted her onto her shoulders, letting Katyushas legs hang upon her broad shoulders.

Nonna: A ball Katyusha, a formal dance.

Katyusha: Ohhh. Wait what!!

Y/n p.o.v

We landed on the school ship and disembarked. I neatly smoothed out my suit and adjusted the buttons to look as nice as possible.

Y/n: So why do I have to look nice again? This is just a meeting right?

Anzu: I may have left some information out. After the meeting we're having a ball you see.

Y/n: Yes! I love football!

Momo: No Y/n, the dance!

Y/n: Ohhh, I get it. Wait what?!

Anzu laughed at my confusion and drifted ahead, leaving me and Miho to talk amongst ourselves.

Y/n: You nervous?

Miho: Slightly yeah.

Y/n: Why? There's nothing to fear.

Miho: Well, since the commanders are going to be here, that means Maho will also be here.

It dawned on me that their relationship was strained and that was why she wasn't eager to go. Sympathising with her, I draped my arm over her shoulder and tried to comfort her.

Y/n: Don't worry Miho. Nothing will happen. You'll be fine and anyway, if she or anyone else tries to start something, I'll be the first to knock them out.

Miho: Y/n! You can't do that!

Y/n: I'm only joking Miho. But in all seriousness I will be there if anything happens, you can count on Mr reliable here!

Miho smiled and looked up to me, tears threatening to pour from her left eye.

Miho: Are you serious?

Y/n: Of course I am, when it comes to the safety of my team it's always my priority.

Miho: Thankyou Y/n, that's really kind of you.

Y/n: Ah don't mention it. You just owe me £200 when we get back.

Miho: Okay then. Hey wait a second!

I scampered away laughing as Miho angrily gave chase until we encountered a Russian woman taking note of the attendees.

Klara: Ваши имена, пожалуйста. (Your names please.)

Y/n: Y/n L/n and Miho Nishizumi.

Klara: а ты говоришь по русски? (Do you speak Russian?)

I smirked and answered her back, earning a cheerful squeal.

Y/n: Я мог бы сделать, но ты можешь? (I might do, but can you?)

Klara: Я действительно делаю. Жалко, что ты с ней встречаешься, иначе я бы уже пригласил тебя на свидание. (I do indeed. It's a shame you're dating her or I would have asked you out already.)

I laughed and whispered into her ear.

Y/n: Близко, но без приза. Попробуйте снова? (Close but no prize. Try again?)

Klara could only blush and wave us in as I let go of Miho and glanced around the foyer. Many commanders and pilots mingled together, discussing the final four teams left and who would win.

Maho: It's obvious that Kurimorimine will triumph over the British.

Rosehip: I beg to differ!

Darjeeling: Well you may beat us, but good luck beating Ooarai after they win tomorrow.

The whole room ground to a halt and stared at either Darjeeling or us in suprise.

Darjeeling: Isn't that right, Y/n?

Now the whole foyer's attention was on me. Great.

Y/n: Kinda put me on the spot here Darj. But yeah, whoever we face in the finals, they're getting crushed under my iron fist.

Katyusha: Fat chance! We aren't losing to some rag tags like you!

Y/n: Keep telling yourself that Stalin, and you might grow a bit taller after I hand you milk to console your loss.

She stared wide eyed at me, her mouth agape at my small burn to her ego.

Nonna: Wow. Ouch.

Y/n: What are you lot staring at now? Carry on talking.

Everyone went back to chatting and the excited atmosphere soon returned. After a few minutes of talking with a few people the doors opened and we were ushered inside of the main hall, where dozens of chairs were positioned neatly side by side. All faced the huge stage where none other than Shiho Nishizumi stood, and she looked straight at me.

Y/n: Uh oh.......