The Beast

Care of Magical Creatures was undoubtedly War’s favorite class in Hogwarts, not only does he get to have a chance to study the different creatures that the magical world has to offer, he also gets to study under one of the best. The only downside to it was that he had to take it with the Ravenclaws this year, which only meant one thing.

“No fights.” Gun muttered next to him as he scowled at the sight of a particular Ravenclaw. “Captain has warned you. Behave.”

War grunts and plops to the closest tree stump. He consoled himself with the thought that Professor Park has promised them a surprise today and nothing, not even Yin, can ruin his mood. It was a few minutes later when the said professor arrived and the creature with him made War and several others gasp.

“Is that-” War squints at the majestic beast, “A hippogriff.”

“Correct. Ten points to Gryffindor Mister Ratsameerat.” Professor Park said smiling kindly at his favorite student.

War watches the creature in wonder, he never thought he’d get to see such a creature up close. He turns and snickers when he sees the Ravenclaw seeker take a step further away from the beast. Let it be said that Yin Anan was not fond of animals, especially not one that was three times his size.

After about an hour of the professor listing facts about the hippogriff and stressing multiple times what to do and what not to do in the presence of the creature, it was time for a demonstration. Professor Park approached the creature with the confidence of a man who was used to approaching dangerous creatures. He bowed, waiting for the hippogriff to bow back and reaching out to touch the hippogriff when it bows back.

“Hippogriffs are proud creatures, you have to wait for them to make the first move. Never insult them or it might be the last thing that you do.” The professor continues, letting his hands pet the hippogriff before he looks at his students seriously. “I would appreciate it if no one tells my husband that I brought a hippogriff to school grounds.”

There was a chorus of laughter as they imagined the angered face of their potions master scolding the magizoologist.

“Laugh all you want, when you get married you’ll understand.” The professor huffs. “Now who would like to go first?”

War’s hand shot up before the professor could even finish his sentence. He was almost sure that the professor wouldn’t let the students close to the hippogriff because of the danger, but then again Professor Park wasn’t your ordinary teacher.

“Ah of course,” Professor Park beckons War to approach the hippogriff, “do you know what do you War?”

War nods and gingerly makes his way to the proud beast. He was nervous, one wrong move and he could find himself under the hippogriff’s claws. But that nervousness was being overpowered by excitement. With a careful smile he bows and waits. His smile grew wider when the creature bows back almost immediately. He slowly reaches out his hand and his already wide smile grows wider when the creature nuzzles its face on to his outstretched hand.

“Excellent!” Professor Park exclaims. “Fifteen points to Gryffindor.”

War grins and starts to make his way back to where his friends were when the professor started to call for other volunteers. He passes by the Ravenclaw seeker who was wearing his usual stoic face but was obviously trying to stay as far away from the beast as possible and hides a laugh.

“Don’t faint out there Yin.” He smirks. “I’d hate for my favorite Ravenclaw to get trampled on.”

Yin glares at him and War chortles as he walks away.

“I seem to remember telling you to behave.” Gun says in an exasperated tone.

“I didn’t do anything.” War shrugs. “Not my fault he’s scared of a hippogriff. And most animals.”

“Normal people are scared of hippogriffs.” Earth replies, “You and Professor Park seem to be exceptions to that.”

He shrugs and turns to watch his classmates repeat the process of bowing and petting the beast. But unknowingly he finds his eyes wandering to the Ravenclaw seeker who seems to be fighting an internal battle with himself before sighing and marching to where the students were making a line. War’s eyebrow rose, showing his shock.

“Well that was unexpected.” Gun comments. “Didn’t know I’d see the day when Yin would voluntarily walk up to a dangerous animal.”

“What did you say to him?” Earth asks War whose eyes were still glued on the Ravenclaw. “‘War?”

War turns and sees that his friends were staring at him. “What? Nothing.”

He tunes out his friends and watches as the other seeker gingerly approaches the creature. He smirks when he notes that Yin’s hands were firmly clenched at his sides. With bated breath he awaits for the creature to bow back and sighs in relief when the hippogriff lets Yin pet its head.

“Well at least he didn’t get trampled on.” War whispers as he watches the Ravenclaw smile at the creature.

--

“PARK!” War hears a certain potions master scream and he sniggers. “What is this I’m hearing that you brought a hippogriff on school grounds?!”

He and his friends watch as the petite potions master dragged the magizoologist to the teachers quarters by the ear.

“Sometimes I forget that they’re married.” Gun sighs as they see their care of magical creatures professor try to appease his fuming husband.

“Do you know that they used to be enemies?” a fellow gryffindor interjects. “My brother who went to Hogwarts before they got married once said that the castle was never quiet because of those two. Gave Headmaster Kim quite a headache.”

“Well now we have Yin and War to replace them.” Earth smirks before turning to War with a teasing smile. “Who knows maybe you two will also end up married.”

“There’s a higher chance of a goblin giving away free gold than me and Yin having any sort of relationship.” War says confidently.

“We’ll see.”