Irene was right as always. They caught attention from the other houses when they sat so far up the table. But Tom could hardly care because Irene knew exactly where the chamber of secrets was and she was going to take him there after classes today. He didn't know what was down there and she wouldn't tell him at all, stubbornly deciding to keep her mouth shut.

It didn't matter though because he could prove to be rather patient when it came to her antics. Or at least that's what he told himself as his hand itched toward his wand several times, aborting the motion each time. She would just return everything he gave her until it was a full on duel. Morgana, that would attract too much attention.

The sound of what seemed to be thousands of flapping wings stole his attention from his resigned thoughts. He watched in poorly disguised jealousy as many Slytherin children received letters and even gifts from their family. A golden eagle landed gracefully in front of Irene and he blinked in surprise. Then betrayal stirred in his gut and his heart clenched harshly because, who could she be writing to? Everything she needed was right in front of her, in this castle. Food, shelter, Him.

"An eagle? How pretentious." The girl said looking surprised. "Who is it from?" He asked, slightly surprised by how husky his voice came out but not letting it show on his face. "I don't know. I haven't written to anyone." She sounded genuinely perplexed and Tom relaxed a little bit. Thinking rationally, the girl was by his side all day yesterday until curfew when he had walked together with her back to their common rooms.

"Let's see. It says;

Heiress Black and Heir Slytherin,
I've heard many impressive things about you and your comrade. I would like to stay in contact with the two of you. I am a rather influential political figure that doesn't find it prudent to reveal their identity at the moment. But I can assure you that my sponsorship will be granted to both of you when you come of age. The mention of 'No one in particular' should get you out of most legal troubles until then. Hopefully you would agree to be..ah is it Pen Pals?

Sincerely yours,
Nobody in particular." She read, brows furrowing the farther down she got into the letter.

"What do you think of it?" He found himself saying, feeling a strange urge to continue to talk to the stranger. "I think that this letter is absolutely drowned in compulsion charms." His company said drily before a small smile found way onto her face. "I think I like who ever sent this though. Bold of them to send so many easily detectable compulsions and leave nothing but an alias to trace back to them. They're testing us." With those words their food disappeared and the first timer of the day rang out.

"They want to see if we care enough for promised success to trust a stranger. We don't need their sponsorship in the slightest and they know it, obviously by the use of our familial titles. They also know that if we knew who they were we would be less inclined to stay in contact. So, they must be a controversial political figure." Tom said, stopping his magical flow to the privacy charm he had thrown up when he started badgering the girl for answers about the chamber and getting up.

"Ah. Do you wish to stay in touch?" The girl asked bluntly as she too rose from her seat and began walking towards the doors with him in tow. "I think so. It could prove to be interesting. Of course, if it's not worth our time you and me will have fun punishing them regardless." He said after a moment of thought. It was settled with no argument and he knew she was hoping he would say yes to avoid the argument.

Transfiguration was actually very interesting at least to Tom. They were practicing turning a simple match to a sewing needle. Irene had taught him the basics of transfiguration and together they had managed to transfigure one of their thinner blankets into a thick throw blanket during a rather bad winter at Wools. He thinks that is what prevented them from getting the flu that spread around the orphanage like wildfire that year. That and their anti social tendencies.