Chapter 17 Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Ask them to prepare my palanquin! I need to visit the emperor this instant!" The Empress Mother ordered her servants who were waiting outside.

At the East Palace, rain was falling heavily, as was predicted by the royal astronomer. Ye An was back at her chambers and was having a light snack before heading to the Mental Cultivation Hall later. She even invited the lieutenant to join her since she was in such a jovially good mood today.

"Lieutenant Yun, try this." Ye An said as she placed a small dish of almond cakes from her personal dining table to Xi Chen's dining table that was adjacent to hers.

Xi Chen wasn't a fan of sweets but took a bite anyway and was delighted by the soft, fluffy texture of the cake. Plus points because the cake wasn't as sweet as Xi Chen thought it'd be.

"Good, isn't it?" Ye An asked eagerly.

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty." Xi Chen smiled at the emperor.

"I don't think I've ever had this before. This is probably one of the royal cooks' finest creations." Ye An nodded appreciatively as she took a bite of her own piece of almond cake.

"I can see why you think so, Your Imperial Majesty." Xi Chen smiled.

"Her Majesty the Empress Mother has arrived!" The grand eunuch stationed outside the room announced.

Right after the announcement of her arrival, the Empress Mother burst into the room with an unrestrained rage on her face. When she noticed that the lieutenant was also in the room, the Empress Mother was taken aback. She hurriedly turned her lips into a forced smile but it was too late for Xi Chen's quick eyes.

"Lieutenant Yun, could you please excuse us?" The Empress Mother asked Xi Chen with the forced smile that was etched on her face.

Xi Chen's eyes traveled between both royals, sensing the rising tension in the room that elicited his protective instinct over the emperor. He wanted to stay for the emperor's sake but realized that it was probably not his place to come between them.

"Of course, Your Majesty." Xi Chen replied and left, casting a worried glance at the emperor before closing the door behind him softly.

With the lieutenant gone, the Empress Mother's facial expression turned ugly once more. "You still have the mood to be eating desserts?"

"Your Majesty, you're aware that it is my mealtime, don't you?" Ye An asked tightly while primly dabbing her mouth with an embroidered silk napkin.

"I heard that you've decided to abolish the war!" The Empress Mother seethed.

"Well, word certainly travels fast. Could you tell me who your informant is?" Ye An asked calmly. "So that I can personally get rid of that wall fly myself."

The Empress Mother ignored Ye An's remark and continued with her rampage. "And you decide to invite the Northerners here? Not only into the country, but to the capital?? And have them join the Annual Hunt, an event that has been our tradition for hundreds of years? Are you out of your mind? Insane?"