"My own son," Valka muttered, face contorted in anger, "injured a dragon?!"

While Hiccup stared at her dumbly, Eira quickly intervened: "Yes, but he didn't know any better! As soon as he realized the truth, he changed course. Just look at them now!"

Valka examined Hiccup and Toothless, who smiled at her weakly. Then she nodded once. "What did your father think of your Night Fury friend?"

Eira let out a breath of relief. That could have gone very badly. She was glad Valka was at least somewhat reasonable. Still, the atmosphere had changed, and everyone felt it.

"He didn't take it all that well," Hiccup said carefully. "But then... he changed. They all did. Pretty soon everyone back home had dragons of their own."

Valka shook her head. "If only it were possible."

"No, really, I--"

"Believe me, I tried, as well. But people are not capable of change, Hiccup. Some of us... were just born different." Valka's expression saddened as if she were replaying the memories in her mind. "Berk was a land of kill or be killed, but I believed peace was possible. It was a very unpopular opinion. One night, a dragon broke into our house, finding you in the cradle. I rushed to protect you, but what I saw... was proof of everything I believed. This wasn't a vicious beast, but an intelligent, gentle creature, whose soul reflected my own. You and your father nearly died that night, all because I couldn't kill a dragon."

Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Yeah, it runs in the family."

"It broke my heart to stay away, but I believed you'd be safer if I did."

As Eira watched the mother and son, she could tell Hiccup was on the verge of forgiving Valka. She was all for forgiveness, but the issues had to be worked out first. If Hiccup was not going to bring them up, then the job fell to Eira. "You don't still honestly believe that, do you?" The others looked to her in surprise. "No one is better off without their parents. That's the sort of thing that can really mess someone up." She paused. "Hiccup turned out fine, but others aren't so lucky."

Valka looked at her sympathetically. "I'm sorry, dear. Did you lose one of your parents?"

"Oh, no. I wasn't talking about myself."

"Eira is very empathetic towards others," Hiccup explained. "And I'm fine, really. The past is in the past."

"But wrongs should still be recognized," Eira said.

"I suppose they should," said Valka. "In time." She glanced at Swiftwings. "How did you meet this Windwalker?"

"We've been friends since we were young. I'm from Torvald, you see. There we love dragons, and everyone has the opportunity to befriend one."

Valka gasped. "Torvald? I thought that place was a myth!"

Eira smiled slightly. "No, it's real. We broke away from Berk when everyone refused to accept dragons. Now that Hiccup has changed things, we've restored relations."

"It is an honor to have you here. I am sure we have much to share with each other."

"Right." Eira pushed back a wave of uneasiness. She had to take things one step at a time, and everything would be fine.

"So, a dragon took you away," Hiccup said. "How did you survive?"

"Oh, Cloudjumper never meant to harm me," Valka said, smiling at the Stormcutter. "He must've thought I belonged here... In the home of the great Bewilderbeast!" She led the way to the center of the nest. "The Alpha species. One of very few that still exist. Every nest has its queen, but this is the king of all dragons." An immense, white dragon slept in a pool of water. Smaller dragons flew by and respectfully bow before him.