47

That was the longest flight of my life. Seven hours of guilt, nerves- snowballing with each fucking minute. I hadn't told Mark about last week, felt like shit for not telling him, knew I'd have to, and in less than an hour I'd be meeting his parents- as his boyfriend.

I grabbed my bag from the luggage carousel, one foot after another, one breath after another- tired and anxious as fuck. Boardrooms I could do, million dollar ventures- sales- I could handle without a sweat. But meeting parents, parents of the man I was fucking, parents who knew I was... gay.

All I could think about were mamma e papà at dinner that night, staring across at me- waiting for me to speak. I had planned that night for weeks, rehearsing the words, every last detail- but nothing had prepared me for when they sat down across from me- face to face. It was like I was there now- feeling that knot in my throat, that immediate rush of heat, those sweat beads on my forehead, the room spinning. My speech that night had been squashed by that 'what the fuck are you doing' panic. Everything became a blur- my words, their words- it was a decade ago but it felt like yesterday.

I was suddenly outside the airport, the memories fading, leaving me with nothing but a lump in my throat.

And then I saw him.

My racing heart stopped, feet stilled, staring over at him like he was a perfect stranger, awestruck. He was resting back against a truck door, black button up shirt untucked over his jeans, arms crossed over his chest, eyes on me, and that hot as fuck five o'clock shadow framing his smile. I was moving again, the worries that had plagued me the last seven hours gone- fuck I couldn't even remember two seconds ago- all I gave a fuck about was that man.

"Welcome to Sacramento." His smile grew three times bigger, his eyes two shades darker.

But I didn't give a fuck about Sacramento. I dropped my bag, throwing my arms around his back instead, curling him in so tight against me. This was why people lied. A heat of the moment mistake could have threatened all this. He was my everything, my soul felt him a mile away, he was my missing piece. I only understood love when it became him. And all this power between us could have been lost...

"I've missed you too," he laughed, pulling his head from chest, flashing those eyes up- my body instantly feeling like lava- burning up and melting to the floor. "Now get in the truck so I can kiss you."

"Kiss me now." I lowered my face but he shook his no.

"Get in!" He pushed out of my grip, circling the front of the truck.

Dammit. I grabbed my bag, fixing my pants before climbing in. "Whose truck?" I tossed my bag to the backseat while watching him buckle his seat belt. Was he always this sexy?

"My parents." He flashed me a smile, starting the ignition, one hand sliding to the shift while the other to the steering wheel. "Ready to meet the folks?"

"No." Terrified was more like it. But I had a nice distraction, a really hot distraction.

His foot hit the gas, his hand slid to my leg, sending us both into overdrive.

"Don't be nervous." Mark teased, stopping at his parent's front door and reaching for my hands, giving them a yank so I instinctively lowered, pressing another kiss to his lips.

"I'm not nervous. I'm just... fuck I'm nervous!"

Then he swung the door open, his parents immediately charging towards us.

"Mom, dad- this is Stefano. Stefano, my parents Olga and Javier, but we call him Javi."

"You call me dad!" He corrected Mark with a laugh.