•27•

After Fortuna's interruption, she leaves again. Hopefully she can find a solution soon. And if not...

I look at the scared boy that is still tightly clasping onto my arm. 'Sorry you have to go through this,' I sigh.

'It's not a joke, is it?' His desperate gaze takes hold of my own.

He probably still doesn't understand completely. I can't blame him for that. I would just laugh at someone if they told me. The only reason I believe all this shit is because of the stupid bottle.

That gives me an idea. I take the red item out of my pocket. 'Hinata. I want you to have this.' The bright red makes me squint.

'Are you sure...? Isn't this really important to you?' He takes hold of it, but drops it quickly, letting go of me in the process. 'That hurts my eyes.'

It makes me laugh a little. 'Idiot. You need to be careful with it. If you ever feel helpless, this may be of use to you.'

His face reddens for the millionth time today. 'I don't think I'll ever get used to how sweet your laugh sounds.'

It makes my face heat up as well. 'Huh? Don't say stupid things like that!' Impulsively, I start pushing him away.

He pouts. 'I can't help it! Whenever I'm with you, I have a hard time controlling what I'm doing and saying!'

I reach out to once again crush his head, but he catches my hand in time. 'Ahh! Sorry! Please don't!'

Though still glaring at him, I relax my arm. But he doesn't let go. Instead, he makes an attempt to entwine our fingers.

With a sigh, I let him. 'You really, really like being in my personal space, huh?'

'You reached out first,' he huffs. 'But I can, can't I? Aren't we.. Like.. Together or something..? Or, did you not mean it like that? It's fine if you don't!'

He stops his rambling when he catches me staring at the hand he's holding. 'If, after hearing all that about gods hunting me down and stuff, you want to be, that's fine. I guess.'

It's not exciting at all. I sound like an awkward little shit. But inside, my heart is pounding. Damn it.

Yet Hinata is shining brighter than the sun on the warmest summer days. 'I don't know what I can do, but I'll try to help you!'

We turn quiet after this. There's probably a lot we could talk about, or maybe even should. But I just want to pretend everything's fine, even if it's just for a second. I appreciate Hinata not asking me all questions that still remain.

'Hey, Kageyama...' After a few minutes, it ends. 'Would you mind if I got even closer?'

'... Do what you want.' It's the best answer I can give. My usual self is rejecting every kind of touch. Yet somehow, I want to say yes. More than I expected of myself.

He forces my arm away, snuggling against my side. It makes me tense up. Carefully, I let my arm rest around his shoulders.

'You have a nice house,' he continues. Though I can't see his face, it's clear that there must be a huge grin on it.

'Thanks, I guess. My dad chose it.' Just a normal conversation, huh? Does he not want to talk about it? Or maybe he knows that I don't want to.

'Oh, and since I haven't had the chance to ask last time... What grade did you get for the math exam?'

'Ugh...' That's not really a topic I want to talk about, either. 'I failed...'

'Eh? Really?! How?!' His gaze moves to my face, full of surprise.

I groan. 'Well, I got all of the things we went over, I guess. The other stuff, though...'

The energetic boy starts laughing loudly. 'Seriously? How did you ever get this far, then?'

'Shut up!' I say, ashamed, turning my head to glare at him.

I forgot how close he was. I forgot he was looking at me, too. I forgot how bad it is for my heart to do this.

His face is way too close to mine. No trace of his laughter can be found on it, though; he is just awkwardly staring at me, his cheeks flushed a deep shade of red much like my own.

'Too close!' Hinata starts yelling, trying to get away.  He can't. Without knowing why, I force him to stay in place with the arm I placed around his shoulders.

'K-Kageyama?!' He's still panicking, but holds still now. 'What's wrong?'

How unfair. He looks adorable, even from up close. It makes my heart beat so fast, so loud, that I can hear the sound of it ringing in my ears. I want to cherish him, even if it'll be my end.

Both of us flinch as I suddenly find my left hand touching his cheek. I didn't even notice that I was moving. But it's fine... Right?

Hinata closes his eyes, putting his own hand over mine and pressing the side of his face into it. He feels so warm. I never thought I'd be enjoying something like this.

I place my right hand on the other side of his face. He opens his eyes, a softness showing in them that is unusual, even for him. It makes my whole being feel like it'll explode.

'Hey, Kageyama...' His voice sounds soft, filled with emotions that I can't describe, yet understand very well. 'Can I...?'

He doesn't finish his sentence. He doesn't have to. I know what he means.

I stay silent. Instead, I take a small but deep breath, and close my eyes. Surely even an idiot like him will understand.

Yet it never happens. Rather, a sharp pain spreads through my chest. I open my eyes again and look down. A silver, shiny end of a blade is poking out of the middle of it.

'Huh...?' My mind cannot grasp the situation as a dark shade of red appears around the metal.

'Kageyama?!' Hinata's sweet voice sounds. Ah, how beautiful it is. I could listen to it all day. But why is it filled with pain...?

I try to focus on his face. It's a blur. I can't see anything. What's going on?

A way less satisfying voice whispers to me suddenly. 'All this time, you managed to completely avoid my traps. But even you can't escape the wrath a goddess!'

Another pang of pain shoots through my chest. The shiny blade disappears from my broken vision as I look down again. The red spot spreads quickly, and I can feel myself lose my balance.

'Hi... na..,' I try to call out to the boy in front of me. He is still there. Why can't I feel his touch?

I spend the last of my thoughts on the one I love more than I want to admit, before my world fades to black.

~Please check out my second book on this story before yelling at me! The first chapter is now published! Not like Kageyama lives in there or anything but PLEASE CHECK IT OUT ANYWAYS THANKS LOVE YOU! Aaaaaaaaaaaaa -J~