Chapter 30 - If you doubt, just make sure no one notices it

Start from the beginning

"Why is that?"

My father didn't answer my question. It was just quiet for a long time.

"Why are pure-bloods considered elite, Eleanor?" he asked.

"Because we're believed to be more powerful because there's no muggle blood in our family tree", I said, the sentence that I had heard so often before.

"We ARE more powerful, Eleanor. It's important that you understand that", my father said, his voice slightly agitated. "Pure-bloods are the only true wizards. If you mix pure blood with muggle blood, you take away some of the magic. Continuing to breed with these muggles will result in a world where there are no true wizards anymore, a world where magic will die."

I swallowed at that statement. My father had never told me about that before. Was it true? Would magic die because of muggleborns? But Granger was a muggleborn and she was a very skilled witch, although I was reluctant to admit it.

"When you return from Hogwarts in the summer, the situation will be a lot different than you're used to", my father continued.

"How different?" I asked. I had an idea, but to what extent, I was unaware of.

"I told you before about Lord Voldemort returning. Our Lord has been in hiding for a while, devising his return and getting back his strength."

Our Lord. He Who Must Not Be Named was my lord now.

"This summer will be the start of his reign and we will stand besides him. I hope you're aware of that, Eleanor."

There was a long pause, but I didn't know what to say. My throat was dry. I had no choice, but then again, if I did have a choice, would I choose otherwise? Would I go against my own parents based on a couple of doubts?

"Will I have to meet He Who Must Not Be Named?" I said slowly. It was a stupid question, but I wanted to know the answer.

"We don't use that stupid nickname in this house, Eleanor. His name is Lord Voldemort", my father snapped. I was not responding the way he wanted me to.

"I'm sorry father. Will I get the chance to meet Lord Voldemort?" I asked. It was quiet for a while more.

"I don't think he'll bother himself with people who aren't useful to him. I just need to know if you will be able to do your name proud when the time comes."

There was no other choice. I had to.

"I will, the wizarding world must be preserved."

"Good, make sure you radiate just that for the next hour, okay?" he said.

"Next hour? Why?"

My father sighed. "We've got a guest coming and she does not tolerate you rebelling from how you were raised. You must present yourself as you are supposed to, Eleanor. I know that school is teaching you all kinds of nonsense, but never forget where the truth lies. The truth lies in the family tree, Eleanor. You know how powerful the Selwyn name is and what is the reason for that again?"

"No muggle blood", I said instantaneously.

"Good", my father nodded approvingly. "I knew you'd make the right choice, Eleanor. You were sorted into Slytherin for a reason." My father put his hand on my shoulder and I forced out a smile. Was this what it meant to be a Slytherin?

"The Malfoys have arrived, come on", my father opened the door for me. Draco was here? Were they the "guest" I had to prepare myself for? I had met them a thousand times.

I put up the standard Selwyn smile and walked down, following my father, following in his footsteps.

DRACO'S POV