Chapter Four: A Game of Strength and Heartaches (Part One)

-chapter four-

"Hm? What else? Play a game to earn chips, of course."

"Do you want to play a game with us?" nakangiti kong tanong.

The girl stared at me, unamused. Her partner, a large-built guy turned around to face us. He's probably your certified thug. Ang klase ng tao na aakalain mong may tattoo sa braso nito. His hair was in a military cut at dahil siya ang pinakamataas sa aming apat, he looked down at me, sneering. Sinipat ko ang wristbands nila, yellow and orange.

"Eh? Tanya?!" bulalas ni Kahel sa likod ko.

Sinulyapan ko siya. He's gawking at the girl. He knows her name. We only stayed inside the academy for a few hours, and judging by his love-stricken and painfully happy expression, he must know the girl outside. Kung talagang aso ito, I'm sure his tail will be wagging right now.

Inilipat ko ang tingin sa babae. Napataas ang kilay ko nang makita ang expresiyon nito. It's a face filled with surprise and a bit shamed. Her eyes are looking at every direction and there's a slight flush in her cheeks.

Hm. Where's that cold expression from earlier?

"Kel?" she muttered. A nickname. "S-So you're an ability-user too, huh?"

Tanya's voice was velvety soft. It sounds everything fragile. May takot na nakalace sa boses niya habang nanlalaki ang mata na nakatingin kay Kahel. Interesting.

I tilted my head and fixed my gaze to the tall man. "So? Wanna play a game?"

He grinned toothily. "Sure. It'd be a shame to decline from a pretty lady." sinipat niya ang kasama ko. "Why don't we play the game by partners?"

"Whatever you say. I'm the one who requested so you have the rights to pick conditions." nakangiting sagot ko. "What should we play, though? Do you have any idea? We'll bet three chips for this."

"An arm wrestling game, then! The student that overpower the other wins."

"No problem."

Nanlaki ang mata no'ng Tanya. "Ha! Sandali-"

Mas lalong lumaki ang ngisi niya. Of course, a person with that build will always go for strength. He looked so proud of the muscles he's worked hard for.

Tanya, beside him, looked fearstricken. Parang hindi ito makapaniwala sa sinuggest na game ng partner niya. The students must have heard whispers about a forming game, because they've already crowded us.

"Oh, but-" kinuha ko ang chips at ipinakita sa kanila. Surprised gasps filled the air. "I only have two chips here. I'm short for one, hmm, what should I do?"

Napangiti ako nang makita ang tamang tao. "Oh, Ms. Student Secretary!" sigaw ko at napatigil ito sa paglalakad. "We're doing a game so can you be our monitor?"

Erika, the student council secretary, turned and stared at me. Nahulog ang tingin niya sa chips na nasa kamay ko. I can see the surprise and suspicion crossing her eyes, but she managed to control her facial expression. Ilang sandali ay tumango siya at naglakad palapit sa'min, the students stepping back to give way.

"A game?" kumunot ang noo niya nang tumango kami. I can clearly see her questioning 'this early?' in her mind. "What game?"

"An arm wrestling game by partners. We're betting three chips each but," ngumuso ako. "Ms. Secretary, I only have two chips left-"

Nanlaki ang mata niya. Of course, it must be unusual to find out a student only has two chips without even spending half of her day in here.

"-which means I'm short of one more. So, what if, in replacement of one chip, I'll do whatever you two want for twenty-four hours."