Chapter 5

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

A Fight without Remorse

Chapter 5

The next morning, Alex woke up earlier than usual. Her alarm hadn’t gone off just yet. With a yawn, she sat up and stretched her sore muscles. Sleep had come rather quickly after that exhausting day. It was a miracle she hadn’t slept through her alarm. She had gone straight to bed and was asleep within seconds. Her body had barely touched the king sized mattress when her eyes fell closed. A dreamless sleep had followed and for that she was grateful.

She used to have nightmares about her final day of college. The memories would haunt her and keep her awake at night. She’d relived the same calamity over and over again. It always left her feeling like she was slowly falling into a bottomless pit. Each time she would wake up and burst into tears. It was simply too painful to think about the day her life changed so drastically without feeling the same heartache. The humiliation and betrayal engraved themselves into her psyche.

Shaking her head in disappointment, she got out of bed. Today was not the day to start pitying herself like she usually did. She did not have the time to wallow, her company needed her. What happened was in the past and she’d be better off letting those memories die. Much more important things were there to worry about instead. How was she going to outsmart Marcus? How could she make him disappear once and for all?

Letting out a frustrated sigh, she walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower. She needed to learn to relax if she was going to avoid burnout. The past months had been hard on her. They barely allowed for any down time for her to relax and enjoy her life. Every single minute of every single day was devoted to work. Even during breakfast, she would go over her schedule to make sure she knew exactly what her day would hold. She didn’t like unexpected circumstances or surprises. Her life was based on the company and she planned out every single detail.

One could call her a control freak. She didn’t deny that fact. Things needed to be organized in an orderly fashion to ensure not one second would be wasted on trivialities. Standing in the shower, feeling the hot water cascade over her body, was a rare pleasure she could still indulge in. Her baby was going to be the death of her one day. The company absorbed all her energy.

Suddenly a noise startled her. Quickly she turned off the shower. She wanted to make sure no one was in her room. When she reached to turn the water back on, she heard someone knock on her door rather briskly. Curious as for who would need her at seven o’clock in the morning, she stepped out of the shower, draped herself in one of those fluffy white robes, and unlocked the bathroom door. She was still dripping wet and left behind a trail of water drops on her way out of the room.

When she finally opened the front door to let her visitor inside, her breath caught in her throat. Standing there in the hallway was none other than her dear stepbrother. He smelled delicious. His strong male scent mixed with body wash from an earlier shower was enticing. His hair was still slightly tousled and wet. He wore a casual suit. Once again, she was captivated by how utterly breathtaking he looked.

If only she could hate him as much as she wanted to. Her body had a mind of its own and could not deny that he was a fine specimen of manhood. Her feminine side wanted him like no other man. He could charm Cruella Deville herself. She could deny it all she wanted but she was definitely in lust with that handsome devil. If he wasn't "public enemy number one", she’d sure as hell give it a shot and test drive that candy cane of his.

“Marcus? What the hell are you doing here?” she accused once her voice decided to come to life. The sound that left her lips was anything but polite. Instead it was filled with annoyance and venom, disguising none of the hatred she felt for this man. It was certainly unprofessional of her but after everything he'd done, he didn't deserve her kindness.