23 | montagues and capulets

Start from the beginning

♡♡♡

Callie's already taken it upon herself to help Benjamin set the table and Avery walks over to join them as Caia, with a sigh, recruits Gabriel – Lea's younger brother – to help her fetch the drinking glasses. Nic and Townes are lost in their own world, Nic sat in one of the dining chairs and Townes hovered above his shoulder as he– judging by the wistful sighs leaving his lips – most probably scrolls through the pictures he has of Mateo from this summer. Luke and Lea have disappeared to the trampoline stood in the corner of the backyard, not even bothering to pretend to help out.

Avery lifts her gaze and watches them bounce on the worn out trampoline mat, nudging Callie in the side as she places the forks next to the knives her friend's already laid out. "You want to bet one of them gets hurt?"

"If not from their attempted gymnastics," Callie glances up and regards the two, scrunching up her freckled nose. "Helena is going to rip Lea a new one of she finds out she's being reckless with her knees."

"Watch it – mom's got super-hearing."

Callie lets out a small laugh at Gabriel words as he and Caia reenters the patio, glasses in hand. "I can imagine."

The springs of the decade old trampoline squeaks loudly, echoing through the air and Avery's lips automatically pull into a wider smile at the familiar sound as she pulls out the chair closest to her, sinking into a seat as she glances up at Callie. "Maybe you should go over there and show them what it's all about."

"Let's save that for another time."

          Their parents spill onto the patio in a trail a moment later, pans and serving dishes in their hands. Tammy catches her husband's gaze as she lingers by the end of the patched together row of tables making a long one for tonight's dinner. "Do you think–"

Harold nods, walking over to the wall to plug the infrared heaters in. "On it."

♡♡♡

Dinner lasts forever. The heat's been turned up further, knitted blankets have been brought outside, sweaters have been slipped into. Full plates of food have turned empty and been replaced for dessert plates alongside cups of coffee and tea. It doesn't happen often, but it's nice – the seventeen of them all sat together.

While Luke's and Avery's families have been glued together for the better part of the past two decades, the rest are simply brought together every now and then by the friendship of their children. More than acquaintances but less than close friends, gathering for the most important moments. The night before the first East-West football game of the season seems the perfect opportunity for such an occasion.

           The rest are still sat at the table as Avery and her four friends drift over towards the trampoline, kicking their shoes off and climbing inside the net – just sat together in a huddle on the worn mat.

Callie runs her fingers through Avery's hair as she scoots down and uses the girl as a pillow – glancing up at the dark sky above. They exchange a small smile before Callie lifts her gaze to glance over at the boys.

"You ready for tomorrow?"

Nic, too, flops onto his back. "Piece of cake."

Luke rolls his eyes at Nic's words, lying down too. "Judging by practice, it should go well. Then again, East are on top of their game."

Nic snorts. "No kidding."

            Avery rolls her lips together. With East having won their first game of the season and West having done the same – defeating The Hawks last Friday, the teams are technically going into the game with equal opportunity to take it home but there's no secret East have placed higher than West in the State Championships for the past couple of yours. Even if it's been with the tiniest margin, on paper East has a better play. But it's a new year. Old players have graduated, there are new additions to the team – a new season promising of a clean slate.