Blooming emotions [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Start from the beginning

"But are you okay now? You seem a bit tired," you spoke as you ran your eyes over him whilst he drove.

"I'm all good, but I'm certainly more tired than usual," he nodded in confirmation.

"So, you want to go home?" you asked which earned you a pair of furrowed brows from him.

"Why?" he asked back.

"I just missed you, so I thought we could do something," you shrugged. "But it's fine, we can just go home, and you can rest."

"I mean, if you have any ideas, I'm open to it. It's not like I will be able to sleep for a while. I'm quite jetlagged," his words immediately made you light up.

"Then can we go to our favourite restaurant? Pretty please!" you giggled happily as he rolled his eyes, but he couldn't hide the tiny smile in the corner of his lips.

"As if I could ever say no to you," he scoffed playfully.

"You could, but you wouldn't," you replied with an even wider grin, biting on your bottom lip, hoping your little surprise would make him even happier.

The drive to your favourite restaurant was fairly long since the airport was out of the city, but you spent the time talking about the past months as if you haven't called each other almost every single day.

Whilst you heard most of the stories, you didn't mind listening to him repeating them. The happy expression across his face, the sweet smile he wore as he told the stories again, the warm look in his eyes as he remembered back to the filming made you just as content as he was.

"So, what about the promotion you told me about? Haven't they made a decision yet?" he asked as he stopped the car. You wanted to avoid the subject for as long as you could, but you knew Ben, he wasn't stupid, and you certainly didn't want to make him to feel like he was.

"They have actually," you were happy, you couldn't hide your smile, but you were also upset, because your job required you to leave the city more often than not.

"So? Have you got it?" he asked full of excitement. You swallowed loudly, before you started nodding. "That's amazing!" he grinned as he wrapped his arms around you and pulled you against his chest.

You sneaked your arms around his waist and hid your face in his neck, inhaling his intoxicating woody scent. His arms around you made you feel safe, comfortable and cared for. You wished you could hug him more often, smell his homey scent, see his handsome face and just be around him as much as possible.

You heaved a deep sigh as you parted and established eye contact. "I'm really happy. I really am. But I do have to travel quite often," you grimaced slightly, waiting for a reaction from him.

You knew he would want the best for you, just like you wanted the best for him, but with his hectic schedule and your scattered travels, you knew it would be even harder to see each other.

"Well- if you have to travel, you have to travel," he smiled at you, but you could read the dishonesty in his voice. "Obviously I want to see you as much as I can, but I'm glad you got the job. You deserved it," he was happy for you, he wanted you to get the promotion to climb up the ladder, to be more successful in your field, but he also knew that it would mean seeing you less.

"We would meet less," you added.

"I know, but we can work it out," he smiled as he ruffled your hair, making you groan. He got out of the car and you quickly followed behind.

You weren't sure what you expected. You didn't want him to keep you back, the promotion was a dream of yours for a long while, but maybe, just maybe you thought it would affect him a bit more than it did.