An Unexpected Turn

Start from the beginning

"Too close," Ingrid said, glaring at him. "Why didn't you tell me the others would be spying on them?"

"I thought it would only be Astrid!"

"They insisted they cover me," Astrid said as if that made everything better. "I didn't know they were so paranoid."

"I just wanted to see Eret," Ruffnutt said.

"You ruined everything!" Ingrid exclaimed. "Everything was going well until you showed up. Now we're back to square one." Her eyes narrowed at Snotlout. "If you had warned me, I could have done something to mitigate the damage."

Snotlout flinched. "I - I'm sorry, Ingrid." He had never meant to hurt her, and he chided himself for being so stupid.

Ingrid sighed and shook her head. "It doesn't matter. We'll figure something out."

Snotlout spent the rest of the silent flight back to Berk wondering where it all went wrong.

***

Things were finally looking better for Eira. She took Krogan out to the forest to help him train Ruby. He did not say much, but he followed everything she said. Somehow, she must have finally earned his respect. It pleased her to see him interacting positively with a dragon. She knew she was right about him.

"Eira!" Hiccup's shout interrupted the training session. He landed with Toothless, and she caught the worried expression on his face. "I need you to come with me. There's been a situation."

Eira frowned. That did not sound good. "What kind of situation?"

"I'll explain on the way."

Toothless took off again, so Eira climbed onto Swiftwings. She nodded at Krogan, and he mounted Ruby. While they flew, Hiccup explained how the dragon riders returned from an encounter with the dragon trappers. Apparently, the presence of the other riders spooked them, and Eret thought he had been set up by Ingrid and Snotlout. Fearing the worst, Stoick immediately instructed everyone to prepare for battle.

Upon nearing the village, Eira could see Stoick, Gobber, and the riders gathered near the edge of the island. They all appeared nervous and a bit frantic. "What happened?" Eira said, landing near her sister.

"They ruined my perfectly good plan!" Ingrid said, pointing an accusing finger in the direction of the riders.

"I was trying to be prepared!" Astrid said defensively. "I didn't know they'd react so hostilely."

"Snotlout should have known."

"If they're so quick to fight, we should have taken them on from the start," Snotlout said.

"Never mind that now," said Chief Stoick. "They're coming."

Eira's stomach twisted into knots as she looked out at the ocean and the several ships all with the same sail as Eret's. "I don't see any dragons," she said weakly. "That probably means Drago isn't with them. The trappers are acting on their own."

"Then we'll beat them with our dragons!" Astrid said confidently.

"No!" Ingrid protested. "Let me talk to them. I was so close to getting through to Eret."

"I'm afraid the time for talking is over," said Stoick. "We can't let them take Berk." He then turned and began barking orders.

Ingrid sighed, looking dejected. "I'm sorry," Eira said softly. "Maybe you can talk to Eret while he's here?"

"I'll try," Ingrid mumbled.

"Eira." Krogan caught her arm and turned her to face him. "I don't have any weapons."