5 - record scratch

I yawned loudly, and rubbed my eyes. The hero night watches were and are the death of me. Always hated them, but we all knew that crime skyrocketed during the night. Guess I didn't get enough sunlight today. It wasn't my fault though. It was really cloudy today and, to be honest, I don't know if I have enough energy to last me for the entire night. I yawned again and shook my head to stay awake. I need a pick me up. Luckily, there was a convenience shop a block away.

The fluorescent lights bothered my eyes a bit, but I ignored it and made it to the drinks section. Hmmm, which drink should I get? Maybe I'll get [your favourite drink] and a water. I opened the door and grabbed both drinks, and grabbing a bag of chips before making my way to the cashier.

"Late night watch?" The cashier asked as she scanned the items.

"Yes," I grabbed a [favourite chocolate bar] and put next to my items.

She scanned the chocolate bar last, "well, thank you for protecting us."

Oh! "No need to thank me," I can feel my cheeks getting red, "it's what I promised to do when I decided to become a hero. How...how much do I owe you?"

"It's on the house," even though she looked tired, her smile was genuine. "Be safe out there."

I grabbed the plastic bag and told her good night. I left the store and a gentle breeze hit my face. Wanting to get back up, I jumped between the buildings and within seconds, I always already in the spot that I was before. I sat on the edge of the building and lucky for me, no one can see me up here. The night was quiet, if you ignored the occasional car honk, the laughter of drunk people, and the once in a while argument between couples leaving restaurants. Another yawned escaped my lips as I tried take a sip of [favourite drink]. I stopped yawning and immediately sensed someone in front of me.

"Someone hasn't been sleeping well."

"Hi, Hawks."

Hawks waved his hand. "Ayo. Do you mind if I join?"

I patted the spot next to me and within a second, Hawks sat in next to me. After we saw each other at the yakitori place, Hawks surprised me by visiting me at my agency the next day. When I asked him how he found my agency, Hawks admitted that he can sense where people were by using his feathers. Since I held onto one of his feather for two weeks, his feather got used to my presence. I had not idea how that worked, so I went along with it. Then I realised that Hawks must know where I lived and well, one thing led to another, and I spent a good hour yelling at him because I didn't want him to know where I lived. I tried to stifle a yawn but failed miserably.

"You know," Hawks started saying, "if you're tired, you can take a nap on my shoulder."

"Thanks, but I'm going to reject that offer."

He laughed at my comment. "Suit yourself, baby bird. I've told that I make an excellent pillow."

"Uh huh," I aimlessly said as I grabbed my bag of chips. "How many people have told you that?"

"Umm," Hawks started to count his fingers, "at the least, maybe nine people."

I rolled my eyes and opened the bag. "You're unbelievable."

"Odd. I usually hear that in bed." His voice held no embarrassment by what he said.

"Do you, like, ever hear yourself talk? Or have any self control?"

Hawks pointed to the bag and I nodded my head. He grabbed some chips and ate them. "Nope. No self control. Was never taught that."

"Taught?"