Night Out with the Team

Start from the beginning

"He is such a sweetheart. Pacino got along great with him."

"I'd love a dog," Doug said.

"You practically are one," Ioki joked. "And I mean that in the nicest way possible."

Jenko looked behind me and said, "hey, Hanson! You made it!"

I twisted around to see Tom coming up to our table. He seemed a little shy, so I gave him a smile, and I was happy to finally see him outside of work. Man, he is really cute. I tried not to think about it and I fluffed my dark hair over my shoulder.

"I'd never miss to see what you kids are like outside of work," Tom said. He walked over to my side of the table and sat beside me. He wore his hair neatly, but it looks like Jump Street has been influencing him. He had a blue button up tucked into his casual blue jeans with a bit of his white undershirt poking out the top.

"I like your hair," Ioki pointed out.

Tom ran his fingers through it and said, "it looks like I've been in a freaking car wreck."

"No, it doesn't. It makes you look hip," Judy said.

"I think it makes me look homeless."

"What's your drink?" Doug asked him.

"Corona," Tom said.

"Beach lover, I presume?" Jenko asked.

"Yes, sir."

"I'm off the clock, Tom," Jenko chuckled, "call me Jenko."

I chuckled softly and played it off by scratching my cheek. He wants us to call him Jenko whether we are on the clock or not. Jenko's humor can be slightly dry, but poor Tom isn't used to it.

"Yes, sir— Jenko." Tom turned to me and asked, "what's your drink? I can grab it while I grab mine."

"Nah-ah-ah," Jenko clicked his tongue.

Doug looked at me with bug eyes. "Still?!"

"Still what?" Tom asked while I shook my head kindly at him.

"How long are you going to be nineteen for?" Ioki asked.

"Just a few more months," I said, "I'm trying to get old as fast as I can, I promise."

"You're only nineteen?" Tom asked.

I nodded softly. "Yeah."

"When is your birthday?"

"Beginning of December," I said.

"Then I'll just get you a Coke?" Tom asked, raising his eyebrows slightly as he waited for my answer.

I nodded and he got up and headed to the bar.

Doug chuckled, "he thought you were a couple years older than him."

"Why?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Cause you've been at Jump Street for two years."

I thought it was kind of funny that he thought I was older than him. I think I heard Jenko say that he is twenty-one, so I'm not much younger. I do feel mature for my age though. I did a lot of summer classes when I was in high school so I finished early, which allowed me to join the Academy when I was seventeen. They only wanted to see my diploma, not my age. Of course, when they found out I got in major trouble but that's how I was sent to Jump Street.

When Tom came back with his beer and he handed me a glass of brown bubbly soda and Jenko said, "only one rule for nights out: no work talk allowed."

"Preach," Doug said, lifting his glass in cheers and we all joined.