Night Out with the Team

Start from the beginning

Other things that occupy my living room are The Beatles and Queen posters, a white bookshelf against my wall where I keep my books, records, and some succulents and other little knickknacks, a potted plant in the corner for some greenery, the television stand that holds my television, a stool I got from a second-hand store where my record player sits, another stool by the window is where I keep a bowl of matchbooks and an ashtray full of burnt pieces of special wood that smell immaculate when lit, and a wooden coffee table over my rug to cover a bit of the original wooden floors. I have a big blue and white vase full of dried pampa grass in the corner, and I always try to keep a vase of fresh flowers on my dining table at all times.

My coffee table has become the home to a pile of vintage Vogue and LIFE magazines that I have acquired over the years, todays newspaper, my unfinished cup of early grey tea from this morning, a candle, and the remote for my television. There is also a bottle of a wine-red nail polish on the corner that I will need to put away soon. I keep a white blanket draped over the back of my red couch with a couple of throw pillows, I always use vintage gold frames for all of the photographs I hang on my walls, and the curtains hanging over my windows are dark and heavy even though I try to let in as much light as possible.

I always think that Pacino feels left out whenever I leave the house without him. I always try to take him out of the house as much as I can. We go on walks together, we hike, and I'll always take him with me to get a coffee. There's a local place in town that has outdoor seating that allows dogs, and if you ask they'll give you a small cup of whipped cream for them. I couldn't take Pacino with me tonight, so I gave him a little treat to occupy him before I left my apartment.

It was hard to find parking near the bar, so I had to walk a little ways. I walked up to the bouncer and handed him my ID.

"Is this a real ID?" He eyed me coldly.

"Yes, it's a real ID," I answered, trying not to sound sarcastic. I pointed to a table my team was at and said, "those are my people. I'm with Jenko."

"What's your name?" He asked dryly.

"Mickey— Michelle," I said.

"What's your sign?"

"Why? Do you want to buy me a drink?" I asked sarcastically, but he was not amused.

After a few long seconds of annoyance, he asked, "what's your birthday?"

"December 2nd."

"I can't let you in."

"Why not?"

"You're not twenty-one."

"Look at my name. Michelle Gregg. I gotta be on some sort of list or something."

The bouncer glared at my ID before finally checking his list. I saw his eyes go down the line, then he stopped. Probably when he saw my name. He huffed and handed my ID back to me and let me inside. I am not yet twenty-one, but Jenko has a good relationship with the owner of the Royal Lemon and he lets me in, only if I do not drink alcohol and only when Jenko is there with me.

"Mickey!" Jenko greeted me and I slid in an empty chair next to him. Penhall, Judy, and Ioki were already there. "Hey, kiddo, how goes it?"

"Peachy keen, jelly bean." I smiled at him. I took a napkin from the table to spit out my gum and I crumbled it up and put it in my pocket.

"How was dog-sitting?" Doug asked.

I had to babysit my neighbors black Labrador for a couple days this week while he was working night shifts. I love dogs, so I kept annoying everyone with funny stories of how he would try to sneak food off the counter and how he curled up in the cutest ball at the foot of my bed at night with Pacino. I do that anyway with Pacino though, but everyone loves Pacino.