XI

At the end, although Vader, Luke and Leia weren't very optimistic, the Emperor left the Executor and returned to his Imperial Palace on Coruscant.

Father and children were more relieved than ever, they felt as if an enormous burden had been removed from their shoulders: now, even if the cruel Sith knew that the two Rebels were finding shelter on the Executor, he was far from the fleet, so less dangerous.

Alone and finally safe, the three spent a month and a half. They got to know each other and managed to estabilish a good relationship despite their stormy past. Vader had even, on the verge of tears, asked for Leia's forgiveness about Alderaan's destruction, and he had gained the girl's trust, something nearly impossible.

Speaking about Leia, the girl had finally decided to train under her brother's guide. Convincing her had been complicated, but Vader and Luke had finally reached their goal by hypothesizing a fight against Sidious.

Leia, obviously, was born with an enormous potential in the Force, and she had turned out to be very intuitive when it came to practising telekinesis. She was good in fights as well: Vader had built a lightsaber for her, and he had managed to do it without using the Dark Side, obtaining a luminous amethyst blade. The girl's father and brother were extremely proud of her... and much more relaxed than before.

But it wasn't only Leia who had improved significantly: Luke had made enormous progress in his training too. He had confined himself in a room for days in order to build a new lightsaber to replace the one he had lost on Bespin. The new weapon was much more maneuverable than the old one, and it suited the owner better (it was designed for a smaller hand than Anakin's); even the colour was different from the old one, the blade was a bright emerald green. The young Jedi had also become better at meditating, and he didn't look the same as before when he fought: if Vader had had to face him now, he wouldn't have been so sure about an easy victory.

Vader himself had changed: at the moment, he was facing a substantial moral crisis. His loyalty towards his children had grown with the love he felt for them, but his Master's shadow towered over him evem if Sidious was very far away. Vader practised Sith meditation every day although it was a mental torture for his children: he was afraid that Palpatine would discover him... but it was equally true that he couldn't live without the Dark Side.

However, despite these numerous issues, life had become much more enjoyable to Vader, Luke and Leia. They had overcome most of their complications, built a strong bond and a peaceful environment. Old problems - like Han Solo's disappearance - sometimes came back, but they were soon blown away by a desperate need to stay safe.

Sadly, that atmosphere wasn't to last.

No one was expecting what happened that night, about fifty days after the twins' arrival. It seemed a calm moment, and Leia wasn't feeling threatened as she walked along a corridor near Vader's quarters to breath some fresh air. She couldn't sleep: maybe going for a stroll would help.

Darth Sidious' despicable hired assassin had been waiting the perfect moment for days, hiding in the farthest places of the Star Destroyer, always alert. And that night he had the perfect chance.

A dart was delivered to the girl's neck silently and the soporific immediately had its effect. The young woman crumpled on the neat floor with a soft, imperceptible sound.

Luke woke up with a start, a dark feeling haunting his peaceful sleep. He threw a glance on his right and saw an empty bed. Panic started to raise quickly in his throat as he jolted upright and touched his sister's crinkled sheets: they were cold, as if no one had been sleeping there for hours. Why had Leia been away for such a long time?

Now restless, the youth ran into his father's room. He knocked on the metallic capsule the Sith slept in until his hand hurt, and when he registered Vader's masked head it was like seeing a benevolent apparition.

"What happened, my son?" Vader asked as he saw him, his face worried under the heavy helmet.

"Leia isn't here, and it looks like she hasn't for hours!".

"Calm down, calm down. Did you look in the refresher? Perhaps she is feeling sick".

Luke shook his head (feeling quite stupid for not having checked) and stormed into the bathroom, finding it empty and gelid.

"She's not here" he murmured, partly to his father and partly to himself. Not wanting to waste one more second, he left in a hurry Vader's quarters and ran wildly along the empty corridors, looking in every corner in search of his sister while his father was inspectioning the rooms.

All of a sudden, Luke stepped on something hard and slippery, falling on the ground with a loud thud. What was it?

He stood up shakily, and his gaze was drawn by a small silver cylinder on the floor. The little object looked innocuous, but the Force was ringing threateningly around it.

With his metallic hand (you were never too careful on a Star Destroyer, something could always explode) Luke picked up the small tool in order to examine it closely. It was some sort of hollow, thin tube, it was very lightweight and aerodynamic, but what caught the boy's attention was that a little green drop had remained inside.

Almost trembling, terror raising in his chest, Luke walked back to his father's quarters and showed him what he had found.

Vader certainly didn't wander between useless circumlocutions when he saw the object.

"This is a dart" he stated "although it was not made to kill. I would not exclude Leia was hit".

Luke nodded his head. He could feel distinctly that his sister was in danger and that the Emperor's threat was much closer than he and his father had imagined.

"Yes, she was. I can sense it" he murmured weakly at the realisation.

Vader imperceptibly bowed his head as he understood how his son was feeling and was overwhelmed by a sudden protectiveness.

No one, let alone Darth Sidious, had the right to touch his daughter. And who had acted in such an inconsiderate manner was going to pay.

"I hope we have not lost too much time" Vader said to Luke, now very sure about what was to be done. "Pack your things and follow me. We are going to Coruscant".

It has been a lot since I last updated, but today I managed to publish a new chapter! I hope you liked it, and I promise I'll try to publish chapters more quickly.
May the Force be with you!