Chapter 3 - Who Goes First?

Start from the beginning

Despite growing up here, he hadn't really gotten to know many of the local women. Asher had always been a little self centered. As a child, he used to go out and explore the woods by himself. The other boys didn't like him since he refused to act like a scared little kid. They said that since he was the smallest, he had to be the bad guy and bad guys cowered when the heroes arrived.

Asher really hated that stereotype. He wanted to be the hero for once and found it ridiculous that there was some strange height requirement that had to be met, so he stopped playing with them.

Now that they were all grown up, the other guys had started becoming well acquainted with the local women as they sought prospective wives. Asher was never interested since he wasn't ready to settle down.

On his way to the Inn, Asher noticed Cas Hemmingway, a real brute of a man, stomping across the street in his wolf skin coat. He had a square face and broad shoulders that caught most women's eyes. His unkempt auburn hair was rarely combed, which gave him the air of a wild man. There was a creepy smirk plastered on his face as he eyed a group of women to the side. He seemed to have his sights set on one in particular with flowing black hair that curled down around her waist. She had on a common green dress with white sleeves and a corset. Around her shoulders was a white fox pelt that helped accentuate her fair and slender face.

Cas had always been a thorn in Asher's side. He was the one who always insisted that Asher was too small to be the hero, and it was well known that he was hunting for a wife this year. All summer long he had his target set and had been wooing her every chance he got.

 Her name was Becky Thornson, and she was the daughter of the blacksmith. The blacksmith himself was one of the wealthiest men in the village, so naturally he had gentlemen callers practically knocking down his door every hour of the day asking for his daughter's hand in marriage, but he was also very religious and strict, so most of them didn't get very far with their efforts.

Asher scratched his chin as an evil plan developed. 

Becky wasn't the nicest of people and had a reputation for stringing men along just for attention. Just last year, she had been caught sending out letters to multiple men, instigating fights among them and then watching as they scrapped against one another just to carry her things. 

She was a perfect candidate! As long as the Prince didn't eat or kill her, he wouldn't feel too terrible about bringing her back to the castle.

"Milady!" Cas greeted Becky with a deep bow and a stale imitation of nobility. "As always, you are far too beautiful for this world."

"Why thank you Cas." She fluttered her eyelashes teasingly. 

"About the party next week, I was wondering if you had thought over my invitation?"

"Oh of course, it's just that...." She glanced away, feigning worry. "I've received so many other offers. I worry that it may start a fight if I choose anyone."

Asher noticed the edge of her lips twitch.

"Even if it does, I guarantee I can handle them all with one hand behind my back." Cas got down on one knee in the snow, grabbing the woman's hand and kissing the back of it. "I will do whatever it takes to win my lady fair."

Nearly gagging on the ridiculous routine, Asher decided to slide in between the two and wave. "Hello Becky!"

The woman looked the servant up and down, then smiled tightly. Asher knew he wasn't much to look at with his wild mop of blond hair and brown eyes. His face wasn't masculine like the other men and he had failed to grow any sort of stubble no matter how hard he tried.