OK

"Why are you here, George?" he asked, walking to the table, limping more than usual.

He still held Fiona's hand in his, and she sat next to him. He stretched the leg under her chair, and his ankle brushed at hers. Fiona shifted and pressed her foot into his harder.

"Like I said, Di sent me," the blonde answered, pouring three mugs of tea. "Milk, dear?" she asked Fiona.

"No, thank you," Fiona answered.

"Fred?"

He tapped the rim of his mug with his long index finger. Fiona watched the milk swirl in his brew.

"So, Fiona?" the woman asked, sitting down. "Di told me you're an illustrator, and I can see how you ended up working in the Holyoake Publishing," she drew out.

Fiona twitched. As in, sleeping with the owner's brother? Is this the impression the blonde was getting?!

"You're endlessly talented," George said and picked up one of the sketches Fiona had forgotten on the kitchen counter. "Unless Fred has replaced his abandoned gift for fiction with a newly developed talent for selfies." She turned the sketch towards Fiona. "Except that would be John, right?" the blonde asked cheekily.

Fiona felt his fingers twitch, wrapped around hers.

"It's not," Fiona said. "I suppose, I'm not as good at catching the resemblance as I thought."

"Naff off, George," Holyoake said, pinning the blonde woman with a heavy look. "Leave her out of it."

"But I'm alright," Fiona rushed to reassure, turning to him, "I know it's not about me. You're just trying to goad him," she said to the blonde. "Anyone can see it's Will, not John. Even if we forget that those are two very different faces, you can tell by the eyebrow, and the line of the lips." She pointed at the drawing. "I've botched up the shoulder though, but it's alright, it's just a sketch." She studied the drawing that George still held in the air. "This one isn't my favourite. But it'll be good practice for the illustrations."

"Are you painting 'Will' into your illustrations?" the woman pronounced the name purposefully. "You'll make one mystery writer and her four babies very happy. And I bet Killian and Philip will love those books too. Their Uncle's face– Uncles' faces in magical illustrations? Lovely." She took a sip of her tea. "How long are you staying then? How long is your contract?"

"The first one is just four weeks, but it's a five book deal. These first weeks are just to get me started. I've never worked on such a big project before," Fiona answered.

"Oh lovely, I'm glad you've gotten this opportunity," the blonde said, the previous mockery gone from her voice. "All jokes aside, you really are talented. And you, Will? What are your plans for the future?" she asked, her face innocent.

Fiona frowned. And here she was starting to feel less apprehensive towards the woman! Fiona properly wanted to leave - but he wouldn't be able to. He was clearly too embarrassed of his limp to get up and to try to walk around the blonde's chair. If he had to stay and listen to the woman's comments - then Fiona was staying too.

"Same as before. None."

Yeah, that's a rock dropped on wet ground right there.

"Even now?" the blonde asked and shot Fiona a side glance, the meaning of which Fiona didn't understand. "What about the family motto?"

He didn't react in any way, took another sip of tea, and then looked at Fiona.

"Is it my turn to cook lunch?" he asked.