Failed It!

Hiyoteru is holding a reunion at his house, a reunion of a class he taught. Howwver, his daughter Kokone wanted to have a sleepover, so he allowed Miku, Gumi, and Sonika to stay in Kokone's room. Miku sees a book and taps it.
Miku: What's this?
Kokone looks confused.
Kokone: I don't know. It's not mine.
Gumi: Let's see what's inside!
They open up the book.
------------
Two intellectual prodigies. A boy and a girl. Two completely different people.
Though the two had perfect grades, they failed. We all fail in our own way.

The girl, Luka was very antisocial. Or shy. Or just lonely. No one talked to her, so they didn't know.

The boy, Gakupo, was very traditional. He was considered weird because of his samurai ways.

That day was the ninth day of their fourth year of high school. The teacher held up the tests. "We had two perfect scores. Luka and Gakupo."

The whole class watched the two, awaiting a reaction. Maybe a fight. However, the two didn't even look at each other. Tension. Silence.

How did the two end up friends? It all started around lunch time that day.

Luka sat by herself, as usual. She sat slurping her noodles, when suddenly she heard footsteps approach her table. The purple-haired student sat down in front of her. He held a new bottle of soda. He opened it too quickly, resulting in a volcano of soda spewing. On Luka. Laughter erupted from around the cafeteria. Soaked and humiliated, Luka sent Gakupo her best death glare. He winced.

How could this lead to friendship, you say? Well, the two had almost the same schedule. And were almost always placed next to each other. Though they may seem like an unlikely pair, time forms bonds. Much stronger than friendship. Read to the next chapter to hear more!
-----
Miku, Gumi, Sonika, and Kokone have just read that when they hear Luka. Luka is staring in through the doorway. They attempt to hide the book, but Luka notices.
Luka: What's that?
Miku: Nothing!
Luka snatches the book out of Miku's hand. She opens up to a page in the middle of the book. Her face turns bright red.
Luka: Where did you get this?!?!?
Kokone: We found it.
Hiyoteru approaches.
Hiyoteru: I wrote that the year I decided to teach high school. They were in that class. I wanted to be a journalist.
Luka: How dare you!!!
Luka rips the book to shreds.