Chapter Fifty Six - Hunter or Prey

Henry clung onto me as we lay in bed together that night, I stroke his head as it lay on my clothed stomach.

"It was your mother, who brought her hear then?" I ask

"She is his link to King James and the Scottish army. Their union must broken." he answered

"And you plan to to do that how. I have seen the look in her eyes, I know it well. An annulment will not rob them of their feelings for each other." I say moving to toy with his shirt

"You think she cares for him."he asks me. I knew the look they shared. Henry looked at me the same way for years. I assumed I gave him the same look.

"Yes and she must for he has little else to offer her."

"You will take her as your lady, which will at least appease the Scots." I sighed "Tell me of your brother."

"Why do you want to know? It was another lifetime ago, in the past." he sat up to face me properly.

"You said he was there when my soldiers came for you. What was he wearing? What was said? Tell me everything."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." he confirmed and I sat up further

"I was out in the gardens when I noticed your men riding, through a hold in the bushes. I didn't know they were yours for sure but I ran to tell my mother, who confirmed it by looking out of her bedroom window. She didn't think it would be so soon, there was a rider that was supposed to come to take him to saftey but he hadn't arrived so she moved to hide him."

"Where?"

"I don't know, it is a big and old house, there are so many places to hide, a game of hide and seek was a challenge. I was busy moving my sisters to an alcove since mother was so caught up with him. Your men banged on the door then forced their way in. Lizzie and watched from a gap in the curtain, the spotted us and there was a struggle. I even cut one of them, threatened them that I was your betrothed and you would not want me hurt.

Both of the Stanley's entered then my mother from behind them, she agreed that we would go with them and we were permitted to dress properly for our journey." I took a deep breath then continued "We saddled our horses and mounted. i asked mother if he got away but she said he hoped he would."

"So he was still in the house."

"I presume so, we left and made our way here." I toyed with my necklace.

"I've noticed you do that a lot. Toy with your necklace." he lifted it up with his fingers

"my father give it to me the night he passed." I told him "He told me that he would always be with me." I smiled softly

"You were the apple of his eye." he quoted

"That is common knowledge to practically everyone Henry, even the people. My father never hid it, though some might have wished it. Can we go hunting? I feel as if we need some good sport for a distraction." I rebuff

"As you wish." he whispers leaning over to kiss me.

---------

I had wasn't  wearing a dress for the hunt and was in my would be my fighting training clothing. My trousers,short with a thick leather belt around my torso, boots and a hooded, sleeved cloak.

"Are you ready for sport, my love?" I grinned turning my horse to see him out his, he was not in his normal hunting clothes, he look more regal than he should for hunting, including wearing his crown, but I thought it best not to question it.

"Yes. Boy carry my weapons." the pretender was handed bows and we rode off through the town and into the forrest till Henry came to a stop.

"This copse is where we'll take our sport!" Henry called to everyone who joined us "Give me my long bow."

"Cross bow!" I called for and one was handed to me loaded. The boy walked ahead beating the bushes, to flush something out. Henry drew his arrow. I knew the purpose of this, it was to scare him and to not draw suspicion to my apprehension  I must be seen to join in. Henry fired followed by me. I hear muttering and I looked back Cathy Gordon was talking to my sister and Maggie.

"Maggie, Lizzie. Join me up front." I call for them and the came beside me as asked. Henry took their place and I glanced back scowling as the two talked

"Move further into the bushes!" Henry ordered and he did. I glanced back at my husband still talking with the Gordon woman. I sighed

"I know that sigh, you are frustrated. It's usually followed by something reckless." Lizzie commented

"When am I ever reckless?" I laughed and she raised an eyebrow "Shut up." I grumbled, knowing she was right. i moved closer to the boy

"With a royal education I presume you would know the patron saint of hunting."  I say, he  seems caught off guard, he slowly stops what he's doing and stands up

"Saint Hubert, who saw the cross between the antlers of a stag." he turned around "Our Uncle Anthony taught us about him, you made fun of the name." a arrow came right past me, I jumped and looked back, Henry was handed another arrow.

"You know I am your brother." another arrow I looked back

"Henry, stop it."

"Your aim is short. You're not holding high enough and your dragging on release." another arrow "I understand how hard it is for you..."

"Shut up." Henry ordered

"to step aside..."

"Shut up." Henry was getting more angry turned and walked back. But the boy didn't know when to stop and he was affecting my husband. That alone made me angry.

"I promise that your family will be well cared for..."

"Shut up!" Henry yelled but the boy did not stop talking.

"They are my sisters after all, you will have to leave court." He galloped over

"Shut up!" he yelled scaring his horse went back on its legs, In that moment i feared he might fall and hurt himself.

"Henry!" i yelled as the horse went back on four hooves but his crown fell off. I returned to his side as the boy walked forward to get the crown

"Give it to me." My husband ordered "Give it to me!"

"Give it to the King!" I ordered glaring at him. He handed it back, Henry fixed it on his head and i saw the smirk the boy had.

"Collect your weapons, we will return to the palace." Lady Margaret declared

"No!" I refused causing everyone to look at me "I will have my sport today and if the animals are refusing to play he will have to do." I turn my attention to the pretender that shook my husband so.

"Hope." Henry breathed and I turned my gaze to him then back to the boy

"Well run then. 100 crowns to the one who makes him bleed but does not kill him." I yell stating the prize and my intention that i was serious.

"No!" Cathy Gordon screamed in protest.

"Run!" The boy gasped and ran off.

"Are you serious?" Henry asked and I nodded

"Your plan is to scare the boy but instead you empower him by your anger. At least this way you will have blood till you decide what to do with him, you might want to have your crown safely away." I was handed my weapons and arrows. I clicked the side of my horse and galloped away. Everyone spread out through the woods.

"There he is." someone yelled, I lifted up my cross bow and aimed, then fired. It hit his leg bringing him down.

"Got him!" I yelled pulling my horse to a stop at his fallen person, he looked back up at me in shock.

"What would father say, Hope?"

"I think my father would have called a good shot." I breathed "If you were a stag, you might even be mounted with my name. The next time you seek to rile my husband, boy, beware of those good with weapons."