Chapter Fifty Three - Phoenix

I hoped my toying would my fathers necklace would calm me from hearing what Henry and I were being told about the boy.

"He didn't run away." Henry informed us "He left to see his newborn son." dropping the letter that held the information he just told us

"A son?" I questioned

"He has an heir." my husband breathed turning to face the roaring and warm fire

"No." Lady Margaret denied

"And with that, his claim has strengthened , false as it is and others will declare for him." Henry stated

"He withdrew, perhaps he will not come again." Richard Pole offered

"He'll come. We don't know where or when but he will come. And I must pray the nobles will support me because the new tax on the peasants will ensure they do not. We need Spain more than ever." he glanced back at me.

--------

I sat writing letters to nobles encouraging their support to us, The Tudors. That it would not benefit them if the house were split once more. I wrote all day into the evening, by candle light. Henry entered and stood behind me.

"There are over 50. All of England's nobles must support you. I have written to ensure that they will, imposed that the breaking of houses would do more harm than good. The house of Tudor is a fight for peace not war between one or the other." I told him setting down my quill.

"Your mother is dying." he informed me "You must go to her. Both of you." he encouraged crouching down.

"I regret that I did not see Jasper. He asked for me and I shall never know what he would have said to me . Go"

"Henry there is a difference between Jasper and my mother, one is a conspirator for there other side and one is not." I brushed him off shuffling the papers together.

"I know but she is your mother, you may regret it if you don't." he replied causing me to sigh "The boy has done what I would in his shoes. He sailed from Scotland to Land's End and 8,000 Cornish men have joined him out of hate for me. My army gathers. I must go to them." he kissed my head

"Wait." I whisper and stand up "My grandmother, the one I actually liked told me a story once. When she married my Grandfather first rode out to battle after their marriage, she performed a blessing." I lifted my skirt and took out my dagger

"She took his wrist and made a small cut." I grabbed his making a cut and did the same to myself"She then did the same to herself and joined them together.  She tied  her hair ribbon around their joint wrist and vowed that this would connect them forever, beyond any means." 

-------

The next morning, Lizzie and I journeyed to see our Mother. We entered her room and took either side of her and a hand. I kissed it as I wept.

"I waited for you. My twins." She whispered

"We're here" we cry

"What we have lived through together. Now Melusina sings for me." she told us

"No she doesn't." Lizzie denied

"Please, girls. be there for your brother." Mother requested. As tears began to fell, if she was to leave me, we would be Orphans.

"He is gone, mother." I say

"You think I have not been fair to you."  she continued her breathing laboured.

"I doesn't matter, you have to stay with us mother, who else would we have a fair fight with?" I joked clutching onto her hand even tighter.

"Protect your brother. Keep him from danger." She took off her ring and handed it to me "Promise me you will."