Chapter Thirty Four - Her Father's Daughter

I returned to my chambers and waited for my mother to be brought to me. It wasn't long before the door opened and she entered.

"My Hope." she beamed taking my hands "There is sickness then? It will play in our favour." she turned round to Cecily.

"Cecily, I think I have caught the sweat." she lied but it worked Cecily left us alone.

"Favour?" I questioned scowling. "My people dying, you think that is good?"

"Of course it is. They'll blame the King for bringing it to England. And think it's Gods curse for claiming what was never his and when enough of them have died, the rest will rise up in their grief and over throw him." I was appalled

"I sent out food and money. Physicians to attend the sick." I informed her.

"You did what?"

"They are my people, mother. Our people. I have walked amoungst them, connected with them. I am not a monster who will just let them die for nothing." I retorted

"It is not at our hand." she chuckles "It works to our advantage. Surly you can see that Hope."

"Did you write to Francis Lovell?  Order him to kill the King?" I questioned clasping my hands together.

"Of course I did. I..." she trailed off "Is he dead."

"No, he's not dead. He is alive. How dare you do that? Write to him without my knowledge and in my name, I presume."

"We said that we would come against him, what else did you think that meant?!" she huffed

"That we would fight fire with fire and dethrone him, of course. Have loyal Yorkist help me take back my fathers throne. Not an assassin in the night! Do you not think mother?" I rebuffed

"Oh I see. So you would rather that he died in battle, where thousands more will loose their lives beside him. Just so you can feel a distance from it."

"Of course not, but neither do I expect you to go ahead with some foolish plan, when it's clear that we would have the most to gain. He does not have to die, father never killed him, nor did Uncle Richard, the just kept him from the throne. Send him back to wherever he came from."

"Send him back and he would just obey, would he? Find a pleasant wife in Flanders, realise that's what he wanted all along. Maybe take up embroidery."

"Enough with the sarcastic remarks mother it doesn't suit you." I roll my eyes becoming more annoyed with her.

"Then what? He will not give up the crown while he is breathing. Even if he wanted to his mother would not let him." I folded my arms and glared at her

"Now her I wouldn't mind being axed." I mumbled

"You have changed your tune. I thought you wanted him dead as I do."

"Of course I did..I do." I corrected myself "Would you kill the father of your Grandchild so easily?"

"A murderer "

"Wouldn't that make you one too?" I rebuffed, how could she become so reckless in her attempts.

"Hope, you must smelt iron in your blood if you are to be a Queen and lead our house to victory." she grabbed my arms

"I am already a Queen even before I married. Father saw to that, what he failed to see was how obvious your moves in scheming were. Henry knows already that it was you who sent Lovell in with a knife. You'd have us all thrown under lock and key, tell me how would that help York or victory? Whatever plan we make to fight him will be left to me. I am the Queen and soon it will be official." I stood taller as the words left my lips.