Chapter Thirty Seven - Dear Teddy

-Hope-

I paced back and forth in my prison of a room. Since Lizzie was with at the christening, Maggie had stayed behind with me, unfortunately for her she was the first person to experience my stress.

"I hate it. I hate being in here. I hate being parted from my son." I breathed whilst I tangled my fingers together.

"The King said he would free him after Arthur has been christened?" Maggie questioned

"And I will do everything in my power to see that he does. When I am blessed and free of this confinement we will make haste to the tower and visit Teddy." I answered stopping my pacing.

"Thank you." she gave a hint of a smile, then it dropped slightly "Hope, what did you mean, when you said about a curse. I know you meant it, I'm worried."

"It's nothing that would harm your brother. It was on whoever took and harmed my brother in the tower. Lizzie, Mother and I laid a curse that their male line would die. So that if the fault was Lady Margaret's...."

"Hope." she breathed

"No harm will come to Arthur. None at all. You said so yourself that he is strong and you know that I will protect him with all I am" I assured myself and her

-----------------

I was finally blessed on my 40th day and released from the shackles of my confinement. Once we were done, I wasted no time in taking Maggie and leaving. The two of us retrieved our cloaks and headed for the tower to see Teddy. The door opened to his cell and Maggie ran in

"Teddy, Teddy. come here." they embraced and the door was locked behind me "It's all right." I walked over to him and crouched to his level.

"I'm sorry we haven't visited Teddy. I had a baby boy and Maggie helped me. I had little Arthur." I told him

"Can we go now Maggie?" he asked his sister and it broke my heart.

"Teddy, Teddy. Come here." I pulled him to sit down on the bed " I am so sorry you are here. I know you are scared but you are so brave, beyond brave." I took his hands

"Do you remember Uncle Richard being scared?" he nodded "But he was brave as well. Teddy, my husband the King is scared too, just like you. But he's scared that people of our old house will try to hurt him, Little Arthur and me."

"Why, Hope?" he asked

"Because some do not like him, the still want separate houses of the red rose and the white. The want our York Rose to be the only rose there is and that is not good. Do you know why?"

"No." he shook his head not understanding.

"It is because that if there are more fights with innocent lives lost it will do more harm than good. Those who wish to start a fight will bring you into something that would be more scarier than this room, we wouldn't want that would we?"  he shook his head again

"No."

"I thought not, but the King doesn't know that because the way he feels is covering it up. But it is my hope that I can help him see you are a good boy that will only want to be with your sister. That you being her is a mistake. Teddy I will try my hardest to protect you okay."

"Okay."

"Hope, will be Queen soon." Maggie told him "And when you are free we will live together somewhere quiet in a little house far away from Kings and castles. Well, you'll be home soon Teddy. I promise." Maggie cried.

"We brought you some things to keep you warm and your belly full. But Teddy I'm going to need your help. Can you do something for me."

"What?" he wondered

"If anyone ever calls you by anything other than your name or sir. You do not say anything to them. There are some bad people who would try to keep you here and we must not let them win."

"I promise." I kissed his head and gave him a hug.

------------

The carriage and entourage of those who went to Winchester arrived back. I ran over as the carriage stopped and Cecily stepped out.

"Give him to me. Give him to me." I breathed. Lizzie handed him to me and I felt at peace once more.

"I've been practicing." Cecily smiled "Lizzie and I to be married women. John Wells, he's Lady Margarets half brother so he's very close to the throne and Lizzie is marrying Lord Alexander of Cambridge, he is a close friend to the King."

"It also means I will be able to stay here, close to you. His Grace knew that we could not be parted by distance for too long." Lizzie smiled

"John Wells is very rich and handsome, he smiled at me through the entire christening, Lady Margaret says I am to have him." Cecily beamed

"Does he have a say in it?" Maggie questioned and a smiled slightly but noticed that I could not see my mother.

"Where is mother?" I ask. Lizzie sighed and gave me an apologetic look.

"You need to talk to Henry." she says. I head inside to catch up with my husband, Arthur begins to cry.

"Henry" I call. He stops and turns around

"He cried throughout." he told me "I suppose that's what they do."

"It is. Where is my mother?" I question him

"She is locked up in a dungeon. My mother proved that she was behind the Lovell plot to kill me." he replied then went to leave but turned around "She wanted Teddy on the throne, and for that reason I cannot set him free. My enemies require a figurehead. He would be snatched and made to be that symbol."

"You said you would release him, you promised, Henry." I argued

"I said I would consider it and take a view. You must listen far more carefully to what people say if you wish to be Queen." he insults me or at least tries to.

"I already know more that you, so that means nothing. As for my mother you will not leave her in a dungeon, I forbid it. If she must be kept away from me, then house her in a abbey. Put her in retirement if you must but please just... Bermondsey Abbey, have her there at least it has a garden." I offer

"Prepare for your coronation, I have ordered it."