Chapter Thirteen - Hope Decrees

-Hope-

-Hope-

Lizzie and I walked behind our brothers, Thomas and Richard. We were attending the Christmas celebrations with the entire court.

"His Grace, King Edward and Queen Elizabeth." We followed behind walk through the many members out court. Mother and Papa sat on their thrones and everyone began dancing. I was getting bored and Lizzie was too.

"Papa?" He looked over at me "May we dance?"

"Of course sweetheart." I was expecting him to bring one of my Uncles forward to dance with Lizzie and I but he, himself stood up as Uncle Richard stepped forward and took Lizzie's hand. They lead us to dance. I was still new to dancing so I got some of the steps wrong but Papa, didn't mind. I saw Mother smile slightly but she looked upset, When the dance finished I curtsied and skipped over to Mother to hug her.

"What was that for, my sweet?" she wondered returning the hug.

"You looked sad Lady Mother." she kissed my head

"Thank you, Hope."

--------------

Lizzie and I stood with mother out in the cold waiting for some of the court to leave for the hunt, she was looking around at the other members of the court. But her eyes fell on one, the woman with Papa. I noticed that mother looked more upset than the Christmas celebrations.

"Lady mother." She looked down at me "Could I show you what Papa has been teaching me?" I asked

"Of course." I took her hand and guided her over to where Archery was taking place. I was handed a bow and arrow. I fixed the arrow in place and took my aim, A deep breath in a when i breathed out I released the arrow. I hit the red circle but not quite centre. "Amazing, Hope. I am impressed." She kissed my head with a small smile.

"Hope!" Lizzie called. I handed the bow back and ran off to play, knowing I made Mother smile. Papa and the others left for the hunt, when Mother brought us all back inside into the warm from the fire.

--------

I sat with Papa as he worked, he would show me documents and tell me how to deal with them, before dealing with them himself. He was handed more papers when Uncle George stormed in.

"My own brother! She's run off with him, and I've been betrayed, betrayed by my own. A sly and wanton betrayal." He ranted. I went to leave with everyone else, when Papa stopped me. "He has no right, no right what ever to take up her. I am her guardian and if he wants to marry that..." he glanced at me

"Girl. The he should have sought my permission. And what is a greater transgression and that he should have sought yours too." I giggled "Why is she laughing at me?"

"Ask her yourself." Papa answered shrugging .

"Why are you laughing at me?" he questioned and Papa gave me a nod that i could answer and I turned my attention back to my Uncle

"Because your funny, Uncle George is funny, Papa." I stated

"Why is he funny my sweet?" Papa questioned leaning back in his chair

"Uncle George is mean to everyone, he scowls a lot and yet he thinks he deserves respect, but he is not King. I heard someone say that he married Lady Anne's sister without permission." Papa laughed and rubbed his face

"She has you there George." he pointed at my Uncle

"That is not the same." he grumbled. The door opened and Uncle Richard stepped in

"Uh-oh." I mumbled. Uncle Richard looked between Uncle George and Papa.

"You're Grace. I seek your blessing to marry Lady Anne Neville." Uncle George laughed and I scowled at him. Why was he always so mean?

"Did you tell her that you loved her? Was it as simple as that?" George questioned

"Edward is the King, it is his choice not mine." There was a loud knock as a maid came in

"Not now!" George shouted

"Your majesty the Queen's baby is coming early. The midwife says she may not survive it." The maid told Papa who stood

"You would leave this matter unresolved?" George questioned

"Sort this out between yourselves. Better yet, Hope. Take care of your Uncles." He pointed back and forth between us and I grabbed an apple.

"You put this matter in the hands of a little girl!" George retorted and I threw the apple at his head

"I am a Princess of England!" I scowled. Papa left me with my two Uncles. Uncle Richard turned back to me.

"What shall your answer be... Princess Hope?" he bowed. I slipped of my chair and walked around the table.

"Do you love her Uncle?" I asked

"I do."

"Will you protect her, like Papa protects Mother and us?" I wondered, to me that was very important.

"Till my dying breath." he answered and I looked to uncle George who was scowling. Always scowling.

"Being mean to family get's you nowhere. You should try being nice and caring Like Uncle Richard." I turned back to my second favourite Uncle "You may marry Lady Anne if you so wish. You can sort out what else is needed but you can marry her." I declared

"Seriously?!" Uncle George scoffed "You are a child." I grabbed another piece of fruit and threw it at his face, it hit his eye he groaned in pain.

"Your Highness." Uncle Richard bowed

"Please, Will you escort me back to my sisters, Uncle" I held out my hand and he took it we left Papa's office, returning to my sisters.

---------------

Lady Grandmother had passed into heaven leaving Mother very sad. I spent as much time as we were allowed by her side. While my sisters played I stood with her as Edward sat on a horse. Papa left us to talk with Lord Stanley when a woman came over to us.

"Your Grace. Your Highness" she curtsied.

"What's your name?" I asked looking up at her

"Lady Margret Stanley, your highness. I have come in service to your mother." she answered me. I nodded and was helped onto my own horse.

"Be careful, Hope." I was taken around the courtyard as continued my lessons to ride my mare.

"Hope, come. It's time for your lessons." Papa called and I was helped to dismount

"You must be getting the most fine lessons befitting your station, your highness." Lady Margaret commented with a small smile

"Papa's lessons a different." i replied skipping over and taking Papa's hand leaving with him.