Chapter three

SETH

Emily was just plain sweet. There was no other word to describe her. She had her feet firmly planted on the ground, which is to say, I hadn't gotten any kind of 'rich-snobbish' vibe from her.

She came from a rich lifestyle, I needed to deal with it.

I wonder why people would be mean to someone so nice and sweet.

What had she ever done to them?

"I brought you a fresh bedsheet set. It's brand new, and no one has used it yet. I can help you put it on."

"Okay."

I could have easily made the bed myself but I was kind of reluctant to ask her to leave. I wanted Emily to stay here and keep talking.

"All done." She said a while later. "I can help you arrange your clothes in the wardrobe as well."

"There's no need." I blurted out.

Her face fell, "Oh. Okay."

"I...I mean...there's no need if you're occupied with something else. I can manage."

She rolled her eyes, "I have nowhere to be, and nothing to do. Don't be so formal, Seth."

It was the first time she used my name. My heart drummed faster in my chest.

I watched as she took my clothes out of my bag and started hanging them in the huge wooden wardrobe. My mom's stuff was already inside but there was still a lot of space. She picked a t-shirt that was so old and faded, there was a small hole at the hem of it.

Would she judge me for it?

She looked at it once before folding it in a neat square and putting it inside. Her expressions did not betray her thoughts.

"Seth, I have some ground rules."

I sat down on the bean bag by the bed, "lay it on me."

"I know dad told you that this studio is yours, and it is yours to do as you please, but I would appreciate it that you didn't host any parties in the lawn area. I'm not a party animal, so I wouldn't want strange people here and I don't like the noise."

"It's cool. You don't have to worry about that. This is my workplace and I moved here recently, remember? I don't have any friends."

"Me neither. I guess we have something in common then." She laughed in that adorable way of hers.

"Also, no drugs or anything shady like that." She clarified.

"What about girls? Can they come over?" I asked, just to tease her. I liked seeing her face get all serious.

She went silent all of a sudden, the smile had vanished, her lips pressed in a straight line, the air between us had gotten thicker.

"Um...yeah, sure." She said. I think she forced herself to say it. "If they are your friends, they are allowed here. What happens behind closed doors after work hours is none of my concern." She added without looking at me, her tone was stern.

"What about a girl I like?" I teased her further.

"You like someone? Is she from our school?" She asked automatically.

"Yeah. There's a girl I like a lot." I admitted, "she's from school, but she doesn't know I like her."

"Why don't you tell her?" She asked sincerely.

"I will eventually. I like taking my time."

I didn't have the balls to ask her the same question. I know she had to like a guy, he might not be from my team. I imagined him to be one of the guys who took science classes or someone she met at the country club. I didn't think I had the stomach to find out, and it didn't really matter.