Chapter 3

"Can you be more specific!"

1973

Walking down the fruit section aisle of the grocery store Ella Xavier thought if it was better to take cherries instead of strawberries. It was the shopping day of the week and Hank had gone the last time so it was Ella's turn now. Charles never left the house these days, always drowning himself in liquor and too busy crying alone in his room away from them both to do anything, so Hank and Ella had become his supper nannies.

Sighing, the Xavier girl took the hard decision she had to make choosing the cherries this time instead of the strawberries, knowing that she would end up eating them alone again. Pushing her full cart, she moved towards the wine section to take some for tonight.

Once she paid for everything, Ella drove back to the mansion ready to take a warm bath to relax those tired muscles of hers from all this carrying. But once she opened the door, with difficulty, she sensed a weird and foreign presence. They were definitely mutant but that wasn't what made her feel weird. It was like something out of order, out of place, like it wasn't supposed to be there.

"Charles? Hank? I-I'm home..." she called uneasily, but no one answered. The redhead looked around the room, placing the bags full of groceries and other necessities on the small table right under the chandelier. Looking up at the said thing Ella gave an irritable exhale "Hank did you hang yourself in the chandelier again? We've talked about this!"

Seeing that no one answered again the Xavier girl took a better look at the room now noticing some broken furniture here and there like someone was thrown on them. Her heart started beating faster fearing that something bad happened to the boys.

"Guys?! Are you here?! Something feels wrong!" Ella called out again a little louder this time, starting to panic with this foreign feeling "Charles!!"

֎֎֎֎

"So, you say that they took Raven's power, and they what? They weaponized it?" Charles asked the foreigner that claimed to be from the future.

"Yep," Logan answered.

"I mean, she is unique" Hank pipped in, thinking back at the old days.

"Yes, she is Hank"

"In the beginning, the Sentinels were just targeting mutants. Then they began to identify the genetics in non-mutants who'd eventually have mutant children or grandchildren. Many of the humans tried to help us, it was a slaughter. Leaving only the worst of humanity in charge" Logan explained "I've been in a lot of wars. I've never seen anything like it. And it all starts with her"

"Let's just say... for the sake of-" just then the three of them heard the front door closing, signaling that someone new had arrived, followed with a familiar voice that they all knew. Logan had to admit that it had been a long time since he last heard her youthful voice, he had missed it.

"Charles? Hank? I-I'm home..." she called; uneasiness clear on her tone but no one answered. Logan was too stunned, Charles too drunk and Hank just expected one of them would answer. Clearly wrong, he looked at them expectantly but after seeing their expressions he knew that he had to speak. He opened his mouth to answer her but...

"Hank, did you hang yourself in the chandelier again? We've talked about this!"

The said mutant's mouth snapped close, embarrassment started to crawl upon his face as it turned red "Sorry..." he mumbled shyly but she clearly didn't hear him.

"Guys?! Are you here?! Something feels wrong!" Ella called out again a little louder this time "Charles!!"

Coming to his senses, Charles sat abruptly up from his lying position on the sofa "In here!" he shouted.

"Can you be more specific!" they heard her shout back.

"In the office!"

"Oh," she said starting to make her way there "Well, start with that the next time genius!"

Logan snapped out of his trance turning to look at one of his future best friends, a small smile forming on his face.

"Who's that? I get really weird feelings from him" the redhead said as she entered the room "Like he isn't supposed to be here but at the same time he has"

Standing up from the chair he was sitting Logan walked around it to stand face to face with her "Well, your feelings are never wrong" he said "Proved it many times. You feel that way because I'm not supposed to be here, in this timeline actually, I-"

"Wait, wait, wait. Are you trying to say that you are from the future" Ella said before bursting out laughing "Is that a thing now?" she asked, looking at Hank and then at her twin for answers. They just shrugged.

"Look" Logan called out, gaining her attention again "I'm from the future but not physically, only mentally. Or something like that shit, don't ask questions about that, don't know myself"

"Okaaay, let's say that you are from the future or something," she said with a sarcastic smile clearly not believing him "Then why are you here? Who sent you?"

"I was getting there but you cut me off," he said with a tired exhale "Let's take that from the beginning, shall we?"

Vote and Comment!