I started ringing up and bagging her groceries as she and her friend continued to empty their basket. In the midst of doing so the two began to hold a conversation which I couldn't help but to overhear.

"So, you thought about what you wanna name the baby?"

"I don't really know yet. I wanna find out if it's a boy or girl."

"I like Aubrey for a girl."

"That can be a boy's name, too."

"It sounds like daddy's name." The girl giggled.

"Speaking of daddy," her friend asked, making sure she made eye contact with me when she spoke. "How is AJ?"

AJ? I felt myself choke up as I swiped the last can of formula. Surely there's other dudes named AJ and it just so happens that this girl who I swear I've seen before would come in front of me and use that name.

Merely a coincidence.

"119.65."

"What?" The girl quickly turned her neck in my direction with an attitude.

"Your total, 119.65." I blankly repeated, moving my hair from my face.

"Oh," she looked down in her purse, reaching for some bills, handing them to me. "Hey, didn't you used to work at Winn-Dixie."

"Yeah, why?"

"Oh, I just remember you. I came in there a few times and for some reason my fiancé always wanted to be in your line." She sarcastically remarked.

"Fiancé?" I asked, handing her back her change.

"Yeah, AJ or you know him as Officer Alsina, right?" She laughed, causing her friend to snicker and laugh.

I felt a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Of course it was too good to be true.

I looked at her left hand surely there was a nice diamond ring adorning her ring finger.

"Have a nice night." I muttered, ripping her receipt from the machine and handing it to her.

Her sidekick snatched the receipt from my hand and they went about their way. I rolled my eyes and quickly turned off my light, indicating I was off.

I grabbed the empty basket nearby, throwing the previously sorted items into it, disregarding the organization I had done.

I just want to get out of here.

--

August

Plopping down in my seat I threw my bookbag on top of my desk and slouched down in my chair. Thankfully I was in my last class for the day and week, unfortunately, it was Biochemistry.

It was a cool class but it only faced me with joys of seeing Yasmin every Monday and Wednesday when I don't really wanna see her, period.

Speaking of, I looked up from under my hood when I heard loud laughter to see Yasmin and her best friend, Amina, walk into class. Yasmin was wearing some yoga pants and a tight fitting shirt that accentuated her shape -- and growing belly.

I sighed, putting my head on my desk, trying to free my mind of the thoughts and memories of what I'd done but it was no use.

"AJ, please, just give me a chance!"

"Yasmin, I'm good. I don't wanna hear what you gotta say."

"Why not?" She yelled at the top of her lungs, pulling at my arm.

"Because, you- look I jus' have nothin' ta' say ta' you. You showed me where ya' head is."

"That don't matter because my heart is with you."