Chapter 32 - Brussels

Start from the beginning

"Oh right, she mentioned that," I smiled. "Then I guess we have plans for Christmas Eve." Which makes me happy.

After that we go around the city. Liam doesn’t have a concert tonight, so we have all the afternoon for us without having to run to the venue for sound-check. We encounter some fans and for a moment it becomes chaotic, but I help him to stay calm and to organise so everyone can get a moment with Liam. Dean also helps us because he joins us again after dropping Zayn. That encounter with the fans is probably the most stressing moment, but we manage. I know what to do and how to help Liam when this happens, and he also has experience. I don’t have a breakdown, I don’t get nervous or anything. I step aside, I help taking pictures and I even take some with some fans that for some reason think a picture with me is worth something.

“You always handle these situations so well, no one would think you’ve never had to face fans before meeting me,” Liam comments as we see the Manneken Pis, one of the iconic sculptures in Brussels. It’s just a toddler peeing but it’s really popular.

“Maybe I did have fans before. Maybe I’m like Hannah Montana and I have a whole secret life as a celebrity,” I say offhandedly and Liam burst out laughing, passing his arm over my shoulders.

“Do you wear a blond wig?” he questions but I shake my head.

“Ginger. That’s the trend now,” I reply and he keeps laughing before he pulls me closer until his lips leave a kiss on my temple.

I do get my chocolate later and not just to eat as we keep sightseeing, I also buy something for Ariel, Havi and my father. Even for Liam’s band mates.

“I’m glad you’re becoming friends with Ariel. Harry and Niall always mention how they worry about her. They don’t want to be all what she has here, they don’t think it’ll be healthy, especially if Harry has to keep his relationship with her secret,” Liam comments and I smile once again.

I really love when he shows concern for his friends or even acquaintances, like Ariel.

“She’s a sweet girl, and I’ve noticed she’s a bit hesitant to make friends, aside from her shyness. You know she’s eager to overcome her shyness, but at the same time she’s scared to get close to people,” I ponder and Liam nods.

“Harry said something about a friend she had. Like the first friend she made and things didn’t end up well with her so it’s probably that, she’s afraid she’ll ruin things again. I don’t really know. You can ask him if you’re curious, or Ariel herself.”

“Well, I like her very much and I might talk to her about this, to help her,” I reply with a radiant smile that he replies. “Plus, she also likes reading, not as much as me, but that gives me the chance to recommend her books and slowly turn her in a bookworm like me.” I finish with a fake evil laugh that makes Liam burst out laughing as we keep touring the city.

Near sunset we’re at the Atomium and it’s as impressive as I imagined. Liam didn’t warn me we were coming here so when my eyes caught the sight, I almost fainted.

“I knew you’d like this,” he says, squeezing my hand as he guides me inside, to take a tour through the spheres.

It’s so big and different, imposing and shiny.

We go one by one, seeing the exhibitions and buying souvenirs, but mostly appreciating the landscape until we make it to the last sphere, with the panoramic view of Brussels and I hold my breath because it’s so beautiful I almost feel like tears are welling up in my eyes.

The world is filled with amazing landscapes, startling views that are capable of take someone’s breath away and I’ve always longed to see them. I can’t believe I’m here, that Liam brought me here to let me see this. And I approach one of the windows just to take a closer look and it almost hurts.