Chapter 30

I lose my stomach. And practically all of the air from my lungs is sucked out.

But in the millisecond that my hands slip from the bars, Ahren leans over and grabs on to me.

My wrists are sore from his grasp, but that is what is keeping me from plummeting to the ground right now.

He grunts and groans as he tries to pull me up. But he has nothing to use as leverage.

Oddly, at this crucial time, I find myself wondering why he stopped me from falling. Why was he murderously seeking me out, then literally throwing me off a balcony, but now he has had a complete change of heart?

He uses his strength to pull up one of my hands nearer the bars.

"Grab it, Grab it!" He says through groans of effort.

I grab the bar, giving him use of both hands to pull me up higher. Eventually I'm high enough that I can get my foot on the ledge. And by this point the air returns to my lungs and I sigh in relief. Hardly noticing the people that come streaming in the room. Anthony and Kaius included.

They run over and Tear Ahren away from me. Causing me to lose my balance , but Kaius quickly grabs on to me and hoists me over to the right side of the balcony barrier.

"Are you okay?" Kaius asks.

I look past him at Ahren.

"Yes. I'm fine."

Kaius notices me staring at Ahren.

"Why did he do that?" I say. Not particularly asking anyone.

"Do what? What did he do to you?" Kaius asks concerningly.

"He saved me."

Kaius becomes puzzled.

"But...he threw you off the-"

"He did. But then he stopped me from falling."

"He is unstable you know. He switches from one personality to another within 2 seconds. He becomes like another person."

I nod in acknowledgement. I wonder which person he truly is; who he truly wants to be.

I notice there are police men here. One holding Ahren and one talking to Anthony.

"When did you call them?"

"Before we burst in on you and Ahren initially. That should be the earliest thing you can remember actually. You haven't remember anything else have you?"

"No." I watch them cuff Ahren's hands and lead him away. He continually glances back at me. "What happens to him now?" I ask.

"He goes to jail. For good." Kaius states, almost like he enjoys the idea of someone being locked away forever.

I can't help but feel sorry for him. No one should have to be put in a cage, especially after he saved me.

But on the other hand, he was the person who tried to kill me in the first place.

I just feel like I should give him the benefit of the doubt in some way.

Anthony saunders over with a police officer by his side and exhales.

"Well, that looks like the end of it. I'd like to say, I'm sorry for everything I was involved in doing to you. I never should have accepted money for helping deceive another human being. I'm going to be tried in court for my involvement, but I hope to see you very soon." He smiles warmly.

"Surely you will get a reduced sentence of some kind, for being the one who saved her." Kaius chimes in.

"I'm hoping so."

I wonder what will happen to me now.

Kaius and I are put in a car and taken to a real hospital. He is pretty bruised and battered from the fight, and from what I've been told, Ahren kept him locked up and punished him when he didn't do what he wanted. How can someone be so cruel?

Kaius tells me that when Ahren dragged me away from him in that old house( whatever that means) he thought he was going to kill me. He had no idea what had happened to me until Anthony came to the house and got him out. He was so disappointed to see that they had arrived too late and Ahren had taken my memories again.

The hospital staff are very good to us. They tend any wounds we have, let us shower and give us new clothes. And a really nice meal. Kaius tells me that we are going to take me home and its a few hours journey from here.

In the police car on the way home, I just lean my head on Kaius' shoulder and allow myself to snooze. I finally feel relaxed. It feels like an age since I have really felt that.

I lift my head and look at Kaius. His eyes are getting heavy and his head droopy. I smile and lean his head on my shoulder.

Oh Kaius. Your presence is so calming. Why must I only feel you in my heart. But not in my head.