Even the Darkest Days Have Light

Sam's POV

Romance had never really stuck with Sam. Sure, he loved Jessica with all his heart, but he knew deep down that he would lose her. Maybe he was a psychic, maybe he was just crazy, but he always had that feeling in his heart.

So, why can't he get the same feeling when he looks at Gabriel? Surely this love would end just a badly as it always has?

The candy-loving man was currently humming to himself, fixing breakfast, but there was something off. In all of the time Sam has spent with the man, he never looked so...disjointed from the world. It made Sam's chest hurt just thinking about it.

So, he slunk over to Gabriel and wrapped his arms around his waist, pressing his chest against the shorter man's back. "Are you okay?" Sam asked gently, his lips brushing over the soft strands of his hair.

"There have just been a lot of deaths at work lately. I just don't really feel like going." Gabriel mumbled, leaning back into Sam's touch. They didn't do much more than hug and the occasional kiss, but it was always enough that Sam could feel his heart beginning to rush.

"Then don't go. Call in sick. Last time I checked, mental health is just as important as physical." Sam suggested, squeezing Gabriel around the middle gently before releasing him. Gabriel didn't answer until he took the eggs out of the pan before turning around and hugging Sam around the neck tightly.

"I don't know, Samich. I wouldnt want to cause any trouble body by making them pick up on my work." Gabriel mumbled against his neck, Sam's strong arms wrapping back around Gabriel gently.

"Gabriel, it;s okay to just take a breather. If you feel like you can't make it through the day, then you don't need to force yourself." Sam urged gently, knowing how compulsive Gabriel got to see everything through. If that was one thing Gabriel hated, was being told that he didn't do a good enough job.

"I....you're right." Gabriel mumbled after a minute, letting out a sigh as he detached himself from Sam and walked over to the phone, dialing the hospital's number. After a small conversation, he hung up and froze,his eyebrows furrowing together.

"What? Did something happen?" Sam asked, a bit of panic fluttering in his chest as a strange look crossed Gabriel's face, his complexion losing some of its color.

"Sam. Our brother's are married. Doesn't that mean that we're technically brothers?" Gabriel asked, his nose wrinkled as he looked over at the taller man. Sam paused as well, a shiver crawling up his spine.

"Okay, listen here you little shit.-" Sam started to say but was cut off by Gabriel laughing and fleeing the room. The moose huffed under his breath, grumbling about the nurse 'doing that on purpose', although a grin spread across his face as he listened to him cackle loudly upstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I wonder if there ever was a rabbit that hated salad. Maybe he wanted candy." Gabriel said suddenly, looking at the ceiling as he spoke. Sam looked down at him with a weird look, one eyebrow arched. They were sitting on the couch, with Gabriel's head in Sam's lap as he laid across the couch. They had been like this for hours, just talking about everything and nothing. It had become a tradition between them that one got upset, he would lay down and they would just talk until they felt like they could take on the world again. Gabriel had often done it to try and help Sam remember.

"I don't think rabbits know what candy is." Sam replied, his hand brushing through Gabriel's hair rhythmically. The nurse pressed his lips into a thin line, thinking for a moment before grinning.

"But you know what candy is." Gabriel retorted, making Sam roll his eyes and groan, dropping his head in mock frustration. A chuckle passed the nurse's lips and Sam smiled, kissing his nose gently before raising his head back up.

"I'm not a rabbit."

"No, you're more of a moose because of your height, but then you're also a puppy when you get excited, but you eat like a rabbit. So maybe a mixture of all three?" Gabriel suggested. Sam gave him a bitch-face.

"Okay, in what world does that even seem possible to you? What would that even look like?" Sam questioned, making Gabriel rub his imaginary stubble as he thought for a moment.

"Obviously a giant dog with moose antlers and large back feet and a cotton tail." Gabriel said simply, making Sam snort at the mental image.

"Okay, forget I ask. That's terrifying." Sam replied. Gabriel laughed, grabbing Sam's free hand and lacing their fingers together. Sam smiled warmly at the nurse, feeling the familiar flutter in his heart.

"Wait, since you are a moose-dog-rabbit mix, what would that make me?" Gabriel asked curiously, furrowing his eyebrows at Sam, who just smiled cheekily.

"An angel of course." Sam replied. Gabriel's expression fell, like he was going to start crying and sat up grabbing Sam and pulling him into a hug. Sam was surprised by the suddenness, but hugged back when he heard Gabriel sniffle, something warm and wet soaking into the shoulder of his shirt.

"Stupid. Don't say things like that so suddenly." Gabriel muttered, his voice muffled by Sam's clothes. Sam chuckled, rubbing the nurse's back comfortingly until he pulled back, kissing the giant's forehead.

"Sorry." Sam mumbled, but Gabriel put a hand over his mouth, silencing him.

"Just one question. Am I like an archangel, bad ass and all powerful?" Gabriel asked, raising one eyebrow. Sam grinned at the sudden change in the nurse's mood, the playfulness back.

"Nope, you're like cupid. Cuddly." Sam said, making Gabriel scoff.

"That's it. No kisses for you." Gabriel said, turning away and getting off the couch. Sam laughed and wrapped his arms around the nurse's waist, pulling him back down.

"Fine, I'll just have to steal some." Sam replied, leaning in to kiss Gabriel's cheek. They were caught by surprise when the nurse turned his head at the exact moment, catching him by the lips instead. It was breif and still, mainly from them not realizing what they had done until they parted. Sam blushed, burying his head into Gabriel's shoulder.

"Hey Sam." Gabriel said softly, making Sam raise his head. Gabriel cupped his cheek with one hand, leaning forewards and kissing him gently on the lips. Sam slowly kissed back, letting the nurse take control of the situation.

For several moments, they just enjoyed the sweet simpleness of the kiss, the way that neither of them were in a hurry, until they parted, resting their foreheads against each other. It was quiet, before Gabriel let out a chuckle.

"What a good way to spend a sick day." Gabriel mumbled, kissing Sam on the nose before pulling away and going to take a shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that this chapter was so short, it's just been so long since I've written anything for these stories and I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things. So, if it wasn't great, it'll get better.