Chapter Twenty One, You Are Who You Choose To Be, Not What Others Make You

It had been a few hours since Ezra and Kanan left the Ghost and had arrived on the asteroid base of Fort Annexes. Kanan and Ezra were both mediating to keep the Fyrnocks clam down, so they would only attack imperials, and not them. Kanan opened an eye to see Ezra crying, while a baby Fyrnock is comforting him, with a paw on his leg. Kanan sits next to Ezra, placing a hand around his student's shoulder.

"You doing okay?..."

"Yeah, I'm fine...! It's dumb... It's just... I thought that me and Anakin could maybe have what you five have!... Believe me... I want to know the truth about my real parents more than anything, but!..."

Kanan can sense that there's a bit of hesitation in his voice. "But what?... If you want to know the truth about your real father and mother, why won't you let me help you find it?!..."

"(SIGHS) Because!... (PULLS HIMSELF INTO A SMALL LITTLE HUG IN HIS KNEES, FEELING THE TEARS FROM THIS MORNING COMING BACK.) What... What if my dad and my mom were both a bad person?!.."

Kanan flinches in shock, realizing that Ezra is afraid to know the truth about his family because he's afraid it might make him a terrible person as well!... Kanan smiles as he places a comforting hand on Ezra's shoulder, causing the kid to look up, confused.

"Kid... Come on, look at all the good things you've done since leaving Lothal!... Do you think that you would have been able to do any of that stuff if you were a bad person!... There will always be darkness in the world, Ezra. But where there is darkness, there will always be light as well!..." He hands Ezra his special book his foster mother gave to him as a child and turns it to the front. The young boy sees special words written in mondo, one of them interesting him.

"Gar cuyir tion'as gar gaanader at cuyir. Not meg others gotal'ugr gar?..."

Kanan simply laughs a little, before saying the English version of the message. "It means... You are who you choose to be. Not what others make you!..."

Ezra smiles at his master, feeling better for the first time in a while. However, an evil voice interrupts their moment. "How touching!..."

Ezra and Kanan both turn around to see Mark and the Inquisitor approaching. Both of them just roll their eyes at the unwelcome company.

"Oh come on!!!"

"Way to ruin beautiful moment!..."

Mark just approached the both of them, clearly wanting to deal with Ezra alone. "Let me take care of Ezra, I have a score to settle!..."

"Be my guest!..."

Kanan immediately pulls his lightsaber and steps in front of his student. "You're ain't touching him!..."

The Inquisitor just simply force pushes him out of the way, causing Kanan to be knocked out, much to Ezra's concern!... "Kanan, no!..." The young boy turns to Mark, furious at him for betraying Tseebo and the rest of his adoption and real his family.

"Tseebo and Sara both trusted you, and you betrayed them!..."

The Inquisitor approached the young boy, knowing how to put seeds of doubt in Ezra's mind.  "Both me and your brother have learned that trust is so overrated! I will teach you what your master could not!...."

Ezra held the edge of his belt and backed away to the edge of a cliff, knowing the Inquisitor is trying to get him angry. "You don't have anything to teach me!..."

"The darkness is too strong for you, young Skywalker. It is swallowing you up, even now. Just as it did with your Father."

The Inquisitor's words start to get to Ezra, but the young boy relaxes before pulling out one of Ahsoka's blue lightsabers and opens his sapphire eyes in determination just as Kanan rubs his head and wakes up to hear Ezra's speech.

"Maybe it has, and maybe it hasn't! But as long as there's darkness in the world, the light will be there to defeat it as well!... A wise Jedi once told me that we are who we choose to be, not what others make us!... I rather be a stubborn padawan who drives Kanan crazy most of the time and be more like him and his crew than you any day!..."

Kanan smiles at his student's bravery before Ezra pulls out the blue lightsaber and throws it at Mark's lightsaber, knocking it away before forcing and pushing Mark away! The Inquisitor smirks at Ezra's bravery before force pushing him against a wall, knocking him out, much to Kanan's concern!...

"Ezra!..."

Suddenly, a huge Fyrnock rises from the darkness of the cave. Kanan looks over to see Mark's anger at Ezra ruining his life is what making the giant Fyrnock rise. Seeing Mark's anger as a distraction, Kanan picks up his and Ezra's lightsaber and clips them to his belt, and then reaches down to pick Ezra up, and carries him to the Phantom. Just as Mark collapses from his anger, the Inquisitor launches his lightsaber at the unconscious boy. However, Kanan senses it coming and activated his lightsaber and deflected it back at the Inquisitor before going inside the Phantom. He sets Ezra down one of the fold-up seats before flying the ship out of the cave. The Inquisitor groans as Kanan shoots at his ship before taking off the asteroid base. Mark wakes up from using the dark side, to see Kanan and his former brother are both gone. He joins his Master and troopers, seeing the Phantom leaving the system.

"My Master will not be pleased!...