🤴15

Jungkook offered to take your position and perform a hymn in your stead, but i simply told him not to worry about it. He wouldn't be attending the ball- even if he was invited- simply because he had to watch the shrine while i would be preoccupied for the day.

Everyday prior to the ball you were cooped up in vocal training and hymn precision so as to not ruin the first dance. The morning of the ball, i only practiced once and then saved my voice for the evening of the event.

The castle was bustling with servants and guards running to and fro, along with the steady flow of mainland guests arriving in the town's port. I sat somewhere in the twists and turns of the hedge maze as i tried to steady my heart. The wind blew softly, like a blanket of comfort before i was opening my eyes to see the prince in front of you.

"I've been looking for you," he said calmly in the wind.

"Everything's so busy, I guess I just wanted to escape the chaos for as long as possible," i shrugged as he came closer to you. i slid down the bench i sat on as he moved to sit beside you. It was silent for a time before he spoke up again.

"Do you remember the first time you came into this maze?" I looked at him. "You were confronted by criminals who had sneaked into the castle grounds with the intent to kidnap you. You ran into this maze, crouched into a ball and sang. I still remember that day so vividly."

I looked away from him as i turned my sights to your lap. Dressed in your common gown, your hands were folded on your legs.

"Yes, I remember. You came to save me that day. I remember I was so scared, then you came running around the corner and I just started crying." I laughed bitterly at the memory. "Next thing I knew, I was waking up the next morning in my bed like always." I paused, contemplating on if i should speak more or let the silence envelope you both. "I guess you were always saving me, even all the way back then."

Taehyung watched you as you kept an eye on your lap, fiddling with your hands in the warm breeze of spring. Your hair dancing in small wisps, almost hypnotizing him.

"Mother told me you're performing the song for the first dance this evening," he opened in a new conversation. "Which hymn have you chosen?" He asked.

"You don't already know?" i looked at him. His gold scales reflecting off the sunlight. "I thought you always listened to my songs," I teased with a lopsided smile. He returned the gesture back to you.

"I've been trying not to listen to your songs the past few days, as to not ruin the surprise."

"Then, I guess you have no reason to know what I'll be singing." You both sat comfortably for a while and i even started thinking about actually unloading your heart to him. Jungkook's constant push to tell Taehyung how ,I felt nagging at my mind as i sat with him so calmly in the garden. Now would be the perfect time, but it seemed like i spent too much time thinking it over, you overran your chance.

"Lady Dahyun!" i sighed as i heard someone call for you from afar. Taehyung straightened his back, narrowing his eyes to the distant voice who had disturbed the peaceful atmosphere. He looked to you when you suddenly stood and called back to them.

"I'm here!" I shouted as i stood and looked down to Taehyung. I smiled at him, but his eyes widened when he saw a small touch of sadness on my lips. "I look forward to seeing who you'll choose to partner with during the first dance tonight."

"Wait-" he reached out to her as he had begun to stand from the bench but the she had already moved away from him. Disappearing behind the shrubs and out of his sight before he heard  the lady's conversation with a servant who was probably going to rush her off into preparations for the ball. 

Taehyung listened to her voice  as it grew distant ,he looked at the open palm of his, not able to remember the last time he held her hand. In that moment, the spring air felt colder to him in the sunlit maze.