🤴11

I took a deep breath of the ocean air as the ship you were aboard grew closer to the docks of your beloved Isle. You were returning home after a trip to the mainland to familiarize further with their culture and step closer to establishing a lasting treaty. You weren't exactly pleased forming relations with the world outside of your island home, but in the end it had to be done.

On a positive note, i was returning with all sorts of new herbs and dried meat, roots and fruits that Hissing Isle didn't have. They would surely work well as offerings and if not, a fine snack for the castle.

"Lady dahyun!" Someone called as i turned to look for the call. A young man dressed in stained white and brown clothes and a bandanna around his waist had been the one calling. "The ship will dock in just a little while. Please prepare your things for departure. I'm sure the Prince is eagerly waiting for your return." The man offered me a polite, if not playful, wink before he was scampering off.

A lot has happened since i had gotten engaged to the Serpent Prince twelve years ago.  my twenty-second birthday had just passed as i stood on the side of the ship, my bag of belongings and mainland offers on my back.

When i was twenty, i had surpassed my trainers and taken over the shrine as the Central Priestess. My abilities to harness and use the spiritual powers in both offensive and defensive strategies still awed some. In fact, i planned to use my power to enforce a barrier around the island as soon as i could. Bringing back a sacred dokkosho from the mainland, i planned to use it- combined with my powers- to protect the island from malicious intruders.

However, years have not always been so kind to you. Among those years, you still wish your young mother was around to see you flourish into the priestess she had known you to be. She had fallen ill when you were eighteen and she did not last the year. i still remember how my heart broke as Taehyung shushed and held you for days upon days, as i could do nothing but cry and mourn. i could not even sing her farewell through tears.

As the sea breeze blew through my hair and whipped at the long, loose sleeves of of your dress, i smiled as the sight of my home growing closer. my dress was off my shoulder, loose around my chest and tied with a brown sash around the waist as the skirt fell to just to your ankles. It was a simple dress and not at all what i would typically wear when fulfilling your role as isle priestess.

When the ship docked and my feet finally hit land again, i let out a breath of air. It had only been a month, but you felt like you had been away for far too long now. While you were gone, you had left the shrine in the hands of a monk who had come from the mainland years back. His skills were exceptional, but his playful attitude always left you a bit nervous.

"Lady Dahyun!" The same man from before had called as you had stepped off port. i turned and quickly caught something he had tossed towards me. Looking, it was a ripe apple. "Come travel with us again soon," he offered as i smiled at him.

"I'll look forward to the next time then," i bowed my head as i headed off. Heading through town, you were met with small smiles and children running to hold your hand and welcome you back home. In your small kingdom, you were well known as the main priestess and many would come to you for advice. My position as Taehyung's fiance added to the warmth of the island-folk.

However, not all were as kind as most.