Chapter 25: Finding My Past Husband

Four days had passed since I had been in Sonagakure, and I still couldn't find my wife. I checked every block of the rural part of town, asking the residents if they had seen her, but no one has. My wife was gone, my happiness was gone, and all I had left were the memories before our final torment. After tomorrow, I would no longer remember my wife.

I sat at a local bar, drinking the pain away. There were only two days left, and I hadn't come any closer to finding my wife. All the hope I had was slowly disappearing along with my memories.

"Damn it," I mumbled in frustration. I slammed the glass cup onto the counter as I lowered my head in shame. I'm never going to find her...

"Rough week?" asked the man that sat next to me.

"Hn."

"Not much of a talker, are you?" He replied with a chuckle.

I stayed quiet, taking a glance at the man who sat next to me. His hair was cut short, and his age showed with his wrinkles and white-colored hair. The man seemed almost familiar to me, but I couldn't pinpoint who.

I quickly drank the rest of my drink so I could leave, but the older man ordered more and offered to pay for mine as well.

"10 minutes," he said, "I don't have a lot of people to talk to nowadays."

I sighed, sitting back down to converse with him. "Fine...10 minutes."

I was tired. I was losing hope. All I could do was drink to numb the pain before I would forget my old past.

"I knew you were a good guy!" He laughed happily.

I rolled my eyes while taking a sip of my drink.

"So," he began, "Why'd you let her go?"

My eyes widened in shock. How did he-?!

"Don't look so shocked!" He laughed, "I'm a romance novelist, and quite frankly, I've experienced your position a few times in my life."

Novelist...?

"When I was younger," he stated, "I was madly in love with my friend...but, not once did I ever tell her my true feelings; I knew she was happier with her late husband anyway..." He took a sip of his drink before giving me a sly smile. "I was rejected over and over again, but I doubt that's your case."

I held my cup firmly as my heart sank into my chest. "I was married to my soulmate," I mumbled. The alcohol was starting to kick in; letting the words slip freely.

"Was?"

I nodded my head. "We were going through a hard time...My wife was suffering, and I began to think it was all my fault...I thought the best way to make her happy was to let her go, but all I did was run away...Tch..."

"That was stupid," he replied bluntly.

I sighed, knowing that my whole journey was based on my own insecurities. "I know...I regret ever leaving her..."

It went silent. The old man had finished his drink, ordered another one, and continued to drink. I was drunk, ashamed, lonely, and devastated. I was miserable, and I could feel the coldness from this Timeline's Sasuke, slowly begin to consume me.

What's the point...? I'm never going to find her...It's best if I just forget her-

"You okay?" the old man asked while placing a hand on my shoulder.

I jumped at the sudden touch, looking at him with the eyes of a lost child. I had never met this man before, but the warmth of his hand was enough to send tears to my eyes. "I'm sorry..." I mumbled while wiping my eyes.