As soon as I heard the buzz of the drill for Dr. Perez, I closed my eyes and tried my hardest not to pay attention to anything that was happening.

"Don't move, I'll do this as quick as I can." Dr. Perez said as I heard the god awful noise as the drill made contact with my first cavity.

I felt some pressure, but nothing hurt like Dr. Perez said.

After sometime the noise finally stopped and my ears stopped bleeding from the terrible racket.

Dr. Perez put the drill up, took out the suction, and grabbed the mouth prop out of my mouth and set it down on the tray nearby.

He moved the light and mirror out of the way.

"I'm going to make some composite. I'll be right back." He said as he ditched his gloves and mask and walked out of the room.

I sat up on the dental chair, not laying down on it or I would fall asleep.

But I heard the door open and I saw Dr. Perez and my Uncle Collin walk in.

Dr. Perez had to wash his hands and put on another mask and another set of gloves.

My uncle just rolled to the corner of the room and sat and watched.

"You know you're the last patient of the day, Sage." My uncle said as Dr. Perez moved back over to me.

"Come on, lay down." Dr. Perez said.

He gently guided my shoulders back down onto the chair and moved the light over my mouth and positioned the mirror so I could see what he was doing.

"I'm not going to put the mouth prop in for the last few steps, is that okay?"

I nodded my head as he put the suction back in my mouth and grabbed the tools to fill my cavities.

I was thankful, because I honestly hate mouth props; they stretch my lips out. But I've grown somewhat used to them.

I opened my mouth and actually looked at the mirror as I watched Dr. Perez's fingers and tools fill each cavity.

I basically know all the steps to fillings, that's what happens when you live with dentists, and when your whole family is dentists.

I hate getting fillings because of the needles, but I at least know how they work.

I watched as Dr. Perez switched out tools, knowing that the composite was next.

I just closed my eyes; I knew nothing bad was happening soon, and I trust Dr. Perez.

I didn't know what step Dr. Perez was on, but I gave up watching him, until I heard Uncle Collin's phone go off and I opened my eyes and looked back at the mirror, seeing the bonding light that Dr. Perez was using to harden the composite.

"That's your grandfather, Sage. Who knows what he wants..." Uncle Collin mumbles as he exits the exam room and answers the call.

"Alright, last thing." Dr. Perez mentions as grabs the polisher.

Thankfully my jaw hasn't grown tired yet and Dr. Perez is almost done with my appointment.

I continued to watch him in the mirror as he polishes my teeth.

Within a few minutes he's done.

He takes the tools out of my mouth, along with the suction and cleans up his mess.

He raised the dental chair as he tells me the basic rules that every dentist is required to enforce.

"I gotta tell you the rules, even though you already know. No hard, sticky, or sugary foods for at least 24 hours. Be careful about which side you're eating on since you have fillings on both sides of your mouth. And be careful when you brush. How numb are you still?"

I poked my cheek, being able to feel tingles.

"Eh, kinda numb." I said, taking off my bib, knowing that I wasn't drooling anymore so I would be okay.

"Okay, that should go away in a couple of hours. And last thing, I promise. You're at the right age for dentists to begin considering braces. I'm actually surprised your parents haven't made you an appointment, yet. But I would suggest that you come on the same day that you have the cleaning with me or your uncle and get an orthodontic consult."

"Why can't you just be my orthodontist?"

"That's not how that works, and you know it."

"But Dr. Winters is some weird old guy. He used to be my mom's orthodontist."

"But he's the best. And he's our preferred orthodontist. Would you rather go to your grandfathers office and have the Karen orthodontist?"

"Please, no. Not a Karen."

"Then that's settled, I'll have your uncle schedule you a consult next week after your appointment with me."

I gave Dr. Perez my frowny face as he mocked me right back.

"Go find your uncle, and get outta here. Remember what I said about what you can't eat! Don't forget to floss!" He exclaimed as I got off the dental chair and walked out of the exam room and to my great uncle's office.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw he was already packing up his things and taking his white coat off to hang on the rack.

My great uncle is the only one who wears his white coat with his scrubs or professional attire.

Dr. Perez always wears scrubs, or a nice solid colored button-up shirt with dress pants, if he's feeling bold and in a good mood. But he almost never wears his white coat.

I know he has one because it hangs right next to my great uncles. But it's okay if he doesn't wear a white coat, because I can get a more defined look of his six pack and muscles.

"Ah, Sage. Ready to go? Did Anthony tell you all the rules?" Uncle Collin asked me as he grabbed his suit case.

"Yes, Dr. Perez already told me all of the rules that I already know."

"Why are you always so formal. You know you can call him Anthony, or Dr. Anthony. He's said you can call him whatever."

"I don't know. Mom and dad always tell me to be professional and call Doctors by their title."

"Whatever you say, munchkin."

I followed Uncle Collin out of the office and down the hall to his exam room that I just left.

He opens the door to reveal Dr. Perez wiping everything down, and cleaning everything up, it looks like I wasn't even in here.

"Hey Anthony, I'm going to take this wild one home. Don't forget to lock up and have a good night." My great uncle said.

"Have a good night." Dr. Perez said to my uncle.

"And chew carefully." He said with a wink to me.

My great uncle left the door open and I followed him out through the lobby and to the parking lot.

"Are you ready for your appointment with Dr. Winters?" He asked as I got into his car with him.

"No." I said with an eye roll, but I doubt he say my eye roll.

"He's a great orthodontist. You'll be fine. Plus you're 16 munchkin, you're at just the right age for braces. You're lucky I talked to your parents, and could convince them to let me schedule you an appointment. Or else you would've had an appointment with both your parents at their office. You should be thankful."

"Yeah, thanks." I answered sarcastically.

"You're welcome, munchkin."