CHAPTER IV

...

48 hours earlier.

Space was much unexplored, a vacant void, empty, dark, lonely, but it was also so beautiful and peaceful. North loved and feared it all the same.

Abroad the observation, life was much different. The crew turned to dried goods, potatoes, imported tree nuts, and on rare occasions, fruits and vegetables for sustenance. But, even up in space, the water was cleaner, and better than down on Kalypso. Though the water was filtered out from their own urine, no complaints were made. Everyone had a job, a position to uphold. Each member of the crew was sectioned out, these systems put in place would never change. North had an important job along with his teammate Ming Wu, the captain's daughter. North had two jobs: keep the ship in outstanding shape, and to keep his eyes off Ming; Captain's orders.

"How's it going out there?" North talked into the microphone outside the air duct, the exterior doors open as he kept an eye out for Ming.

"Checking the connection now."

"You see the problem?"

"There doesn't seem to be a problem. The dishes are aligned, no exterior damage as far as I can see."

"Minnie, check again."

"Why don't you come out here and check for yourself, space boy."

"I stay in here, Captain's orders. There got to be something, our intermissions are down. We can no longer make contact with the ground."

"Well, there's nothing wrong- oh wait." She gasped. "North get out here!"

"What's going on?"

"Hurry!" She cried.

North grabbed his suit, pulled his feet in first and zipped himself up, he threw his helmet on and entered the air duct. He grabbed the long cable and tethered himself to the ship. "I'm coming, Ming!" North floated out to her, she was hanging onto the satellite tower with one hand, her back facing North's direction. He outstretched his arm towards Ming and clasped his hand around hers, pulling her towards his body. Their helmets clashed together, and Ming's eyes were closed. "Minnie!" He shook her, worry settled between the fine lines of his face. A smile played at the corners of Ming's lips, and she couldn't contain it any longer, she bursted out in a fit of laughter. "What is wrong with you?" North scowled, pushing her off of him. She pulled him back by his arm, smiling.

"How else was I post to get you out here? Asking politely or dragging you out by your feet?"

North rolled his eyes as a smile tugged at his mouth. "Dragging me out by my feet." He replied, he looked back to the air duct, and then back to Ming, his eyes wide. "Oh, we're far." North chuckled, nervously.

"Scared, yet?" Ming asked, with slight mockery in her tone.

"Not yet, but we should head back."

"In a minute." Her eyes brightened. "Look." She pointed to the large purple planet, the sun eclipsing over the horizon.

His heart strung a cord as they were steady on Ming's lips. "It's beautiful." He said, his eyes never leaving her.

She felt his gaze, and spoke softly. "If only you actually looked at it."

"I'm looking at everything."

"Don't let my father catch you saying that or looking at me with those eyes." She raised a brow.

North's brows knitted together, and he frowned. "Moment ruined, you ruined it." He said, lightly. "You heard that conversation?"

"Practically the whole ship heard it, my father's voice travels. It was sweet."