Acknowledgments

Once upon a time, I uttered two words to my dad that forever changed my life: I'm bored. It was summer in the Midwest, unbearably hot, and I'd already used my allotted television time for the day. "Come with me," he said.

I followed him to his extensive library where he plucked a paperback book from the shelf—Stephen King's Salem's Lot. "Read this," he said. "Or I can give you something else to do." Since I knew "something else" was code for weeding the garden, I took the book without complaint and set off for a quiet corner of the house.

Now, I don't know if my dad randomly chose a book from the shelf or if he handed me Salem's Lot with a purpose in mind. Regardless, the story scared the bejeezus out of me and ultimately sowed my love of three things: vampires, reading, and storytelling. So Dad, wherever you are, thanks for this incredible gift.

Thanks to Nova Order, Natalie Allan, Amanda Wilson, Jennifer Goehl, Tiffany O'Connell, Alicia Madill, Leah Shvartsman, and MaryBeth Mulhall for your invaluable feedback.

Thanks to Damon Xeda for the gorgeous cover.

Thanks to Ian for jokingly suggesting I name a vampire after you. When I first began this book, there was no Ian McAvoy. I can't imagine what this story would be without him, just like I can't imagine what my life would be without you.

Thanks to Hannah, Jake, and Bea for being patient while I write. I know competing for attention with an unfinished manuscript is incredibly difficult.

Thanks to everyone who didn't laugh (at least not to my face) when I announced I was going to write a young-adult book about vampires where there are already many to choose from. In my opinion, one can never have too many vampire books.

Thanks to my loyal fans who keep coming back for more and to those who have only just discovered my work. You are the reason I keep writing.

~ Melissa