Chapter 23 - So have we got a deal?

Start from the beginning

They were still exchanging looks, not convinced. These boys were notorious for their pranks, why didn't they take the offer?

"You don't have to do it for free", I said, taking out the coins I had brought. I was planning to pay them after their services, but I could just as well use it as my last bribe.

"Two galleons for the effort, two to not tell a soul that I requested it and one for the risk of getting detention", I said, taking a hand of one of the two and shoving the coins in it. "So have we got a deal?"

It took another couple seconds, but eventually, one of them nodded.

"Sure, it might take a couple of days, but we've got a deal", he grinned.

"Good", I said. I grabbed my bag and left the classroom. That was one more task to scratch off my list.

"Lea, where have you been?" Tracey asked as I met up with them at breakfast.

"Just had some business to take care of", I said. I quickly glanced at Draco and threw him a knowing smirk. "Tracey, I need your help as well."

"Oh?" Tracey said, clearly intrigued by my shift in mood. It had been a while since I had been so driven about something.

"I heard Graham was the one who suggested the bet. I want him to regret ever even thinking about it. Care to help me out?" I shrugged. An evil grin spread onto Tracey's face. I knew I could count on her before I even asked.

"You don't have to ask me twice", she smiled, eyeing the seventh-years on the other end of the Slytherin table.

"Glad to have you back", Daphne said quietly and squeezed my hand. I briefly smiled at her. It felt good to be back.

And that feeling only increased over the next couple of days. Tracey's plan was downright evil and I loved it. It reminded me just how cunning she was and why she was in Slytherin. She was pretty careless about who she slept with in general, but she used it to her advantage this time. She had gathered all Slytherin girls to bet on how good Graham's skills in bed were. She then proceeded to seduce the bloke, which was no rocket science and slept with him. The following day she declared in a full common room how much money she had earned after realising that his performance was nothing to write home about.

He could experience how terrible it felt to be the center of a bet.

The twins on the other hand were quite genius as well, although slightly childish. They had gone all out and it had been priceless. They had somehow managed to add their newest invention U-No-Poo to Adrian's pumpkin juice during supper, causing quite a few heads to turn as he ran out of the Great Hall. They had also whispered the Tarantallegra jinx during one of their Defence Against the Dark Arts classes. I hadn't been able to witness the situation, but Adrian's random dance performance had been the talk of the castle for days. It also resulted in an hour of detention with Umbridge.

Lastly, they had managed to master the most hilarious spell I had ever heard of. Apparently, a spell called the Sea Urchin Jinx existed, turning the victim into a literal Sea Urchin, blowing the person up like a balloon and creating tiny little spikes all over their body. It was the highlight of my entire Hogwarts career to see Adrian Pucey turn into one during supper, with everyone watching. It was only very briefly before Snape reversed the curse, but it had been absolutely humiliating for him.

The twins did get caught for that, earning them a couple hours of detention, but they didn't seem to mind. They just grinned at me in the hallway when no one was around and I had acquired a newfound respect for them. They were actually quite smart and clearly loyal. I could appreciate that, even though they were Weasleys.

The only people who for certain knew that I had requested the twins to prank Adrian, were the twins, Tracey, Daphne and Draco. But when Adrian received a furious letter of his mother, he put two and two together as well. I didn't take long for him to try and talk to me again.

It was on Wednesday night on my way back from the library.

"Eleanor!" he called out for me.

"I'd prefer it if you called me by my last name, thank you", I said. It was the most I had said to him since I found out about the bet. The only ones who called me by my first name were Tracey and Daphne, and Draco and Benjamin occasionally.

"Fine, Selwyn, we need to talk."

"I have absolutely nothing to say to you", I sighed, readjusting the handle of my bag on my shoulder. Adrian blocked my path. There was a mixed look in his eyes, one of both anger and sadness.

"I know you wrote to my mother", he stated. "And I wouldn't be surprised if you had a little chat with the twins as well."

"Don't be ridiculous. I do not waste my time on you anymore, Pucey", I scoffed, pushing him aside.

"Wait", he said and grabbed my wrist.

"Get your filthy hands off me, Pucey, right now!" I said threateningly and he let go immediately.

"Look, I know you're angry and I get why you did it, but then at least let me apologize", he sighed.

"The last thing I need from you is an apology, now get out of my way", I huffed. I didn't need anything from him.

"My mother won't let me back into the house until I've set things straight with you, please just let me explain", he continued.

"Looks like you've got to find yourself another place to stay then, because I will never accept your apology, Pucey. You should have thought about that before you decided to cross a Selwyn", I hissed.

"Please, Eleanor, I care about you and you know that", he said, still blocking my way. "I was stupid to place that bet, I know, but it was never fake for me. I have feelings for you, Eleanor and I know you have feelings for me too."

"All feelings I had for you disappeared the moment I learned about your little game. You disgust me, Pucey. I feel repulsed just by looking-"

And then he kissed me.

Out of nowhere, he grabbed my face and planted his lips on mine, just like that.

And I had never slapped anyone in the face as hard as I slapped Adrian in that moment.

He stared at me in shock as his hand cupped his red-tinted cheek.

"Listen to me carefully, Pucey", I growled. "If you ever as much as look at me again, I will make sure you won't be able to do so a second time. I'm warning you. You're dead to me and if you continue like this, you'll just be dead in general."

I roughly pushed him aside and walked off. I hated him.

"I have to say, Selwyn, that even scared me." I turned around the corner to see Draco Malfoy leaning against the wall, a book on Alchemy in his hand. "I had just decided to be a gentleman and help you out, but it seems like you don't need my help at all", he chuckled.

"You're right, I don't", I said, not in the mood to talk. I passed him and took a deep breath. This was a chapter in my life that I closed gladly. No Adrian Pucey in my life anymore, no worries and no sadness. It was March and I could finally continue a school year free of drama.

Or so I thought.