Symphony of Scales Pt. 4

Start from the beginning

"Hey guys, where is Iver?" Langley asks while looking around.

We glance between us but Langley is right. Iver is not among us. He was right next to me. He had to have fallen with us. "Look around. He has to be buried somewhere too." I say, diving my hands into the pile of rubble to my right. We can't lose both Bo and Iver. We are still like like babies taking their first steps in this new world. Without them I'm not sure we can make it.

The sharp edges of the rocks cut my hands and crack my fingernails. Frode and Harald fumble through their own piles of debris while Langley watches over Bo and looking for a way to free him.

"He isn't here!" Haralda shouts to the group.

"He has to be! He didn't just disappear and we can't leave him here!" I bark in frustration. The words roll desperately off my tongue.

The ground shakes again and the Nidhogg's body begins to drag across the floor. Large pieces of debris shed from its head and it escapes the ravine it carved in the castle. We stand silent, motionless. Afraid that even a single breath would give away our location to the beast. The Nidhogg shifts its body, sniffing the air. It's scales fluctuate like a wave rolling down its body.

It brings its head down until it is level with us. Steam sizzles from its wounded eyes with one still harboring the arrow that Iver shot previously. How much longer do we have until it can see? The Nidhogg continues sniffing the air around us. Its head moves dangerously close, within inches of my body. The beast lets out a deep breath that blows past me. The expelled air freezes the sweat covering my body and a shiver creeps down my spine.

It shifts it's head toward Langley who is standing between the Nighogg and Bo. His arms ready to strike as if that was going to do anything against this undying monster.

My eyes meet those of my companions. Our thoughts being collectively transmitted through an invisible link. Don't move. A slight menacing purr escapes the Nidhogg's mouth as it bares its massive fangs. It lets out a growl as it reels its head back, ready to strike. It's found him.

"Move Langley! Run!" I scream taking a few steps toward him. If I run now I can make it in time but my legs betray me. They stop their advance and my whole body freezes over. The thought of self preservation slithers into the back of my mind and I am unable to move. I thave something important to get back to I can't die here it whispers into my ear. My heart sinks into my stomach knowing there is no chance I was going to continue. Coward. Is this how you are going to repay them.

The Nidhogg lunges towards Langley who stands there still wanting to protect Bo. Haralda tackles him to the ground and they slide a few meters to the right just as the Nidhogg crashes into the pile that was housing Bo. My chest tenses knowing there was little chance Bo survived. Coward. Coward. Coward. Do something.

The beast lifts its head again destroying more of the wall. Damnit just move! My body grows warm and I unsheathe one of my axes and charge Nidhogg. Come on don't stop. Both my hands tighten around the handle of one of my axes and I thrust it into the Nidhogg's body. The handle vibrates in my hand and the blade shatters on its thick, black scales. The pieces ring as they cascade onto the floor, leaving not even a scratch on the beast's body. Shit.

"Run!" I holler at them as the Nidhogg turns to face me.

The steam emanating from the beast's left eye ceases. In its place, a new vibrant blue eye sits glaring down at me.