5. Call Me Salamander

We ran until we were in the in the streets. Jorge was looking for Marcus, that much I knew. But I was incredibly worried for Brenda. She was stupid enough to turn around for something. I just hoped that it was worth it.

"You alright?" Newt asked beside me. I noticed that he was biting his nails. he must be nervous for Thomas.

"She is so stupid sometimes," I mumbled. "She is so worried about the past, she looses focus on the future."

Newt nodded his head, seeming to be deep in thought. "Sometimes the future is scary, so we ignore it and focus on something better."

Newt was right. What the future held for us was scary. It was like an impending doom, waiting for us the first slip up we make. But what from the past is better that made Brenda turn back? And why wasn't I good enough to make her move forward?

I sighed and just focused on the streets.

"Are you immune?" A voice broke the silence.

I looked up to see the girl standing in front of me. "How do you know?" I asked.

She glanced at Thomas before she continued talking. "We used to work for WCKD. I remember you. You had a twin brother. Both immune. WCKD caught you both, but one day you disappeared," she stared at me.

"Y-you know George?" my voice shook. There was hope for George. I always figured he had died, like many other kids part of the WCKD trials had, but I always hoped.

"I knew him," she said and pursed her lips.

My heart sunk and my head drooped. "I see," I said holding back tears.

Newt placed his hand on my shoulder. That wasn't enough so I pulled him in for a hug.

"There, there," he whispered softly as he ran his hand over my hair.

I wouldn't let myself cry right now, but it was taking everything I had not to. WCKD had taken my brother, my twin, and my other half. And all for what? A stupid nonexistent cure. I took a shaky breath.

I felt Newt try to pull away, but I knew I would breakdown if he did. "Don't let go yet, I need you just a little longer," I whispered so no one else would hear.

"Okay," he wrapped his arms around me tighter and I took another breath through my nose. His smell overwhelmed my senses.

He smelled slightly of dirt, but in an earthy way. It was grass and hay. But as his smell lingered, there was a hint caramel.

I quickly pulled back when I realized what I was doing. I just smelled Newt. I was going bat shit crazy. I felt the blush coming so I turned away and walked faster to catch up with the group.

I wasn't going to focus on my knew knowledge of George or worry about Brenda at the moment, so I am going to distract myself.

"What is all your guys names?" I asked as I caught up to them.

"I'm Aris," the scared looking boy said.

"Frypan," the happy boy said.

"Minho," the lightning guy said.

"I'm Teresa," the girl finally said.

"Oh," Newt said. "I believe you called me salamander," he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes at him, but continued to speak with them. They all came from a maze that WCKD had created. Aris was from a different one but they all escaped WCKD.

I was fascinated by their life. I was also grateful that I never had to experience it. It sounded like they had lost many friends in the process

We must've been walking for an hour by the time Jorge finally spoke up. "We are here."

•••●●•••

Awwe more Newt and Beth moments...

What should their ship name be?

Bewt or Neth?

Let me know what you think:)