A Signal Shown

"Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ellette sat propped on pillows and cushions, staring out the picturesque bay window overlooking the park. Her journal sat in her lap, virtually untouched. Focus, inspiration, or even motivation was just not coming to her this afternoon. Her mind wandered, but not in its usual driven, non-linear way that produced so much of her writing. She hadn't been able to write, and she hadn't been able to dream. But, she was happy. Blissfully so.

Despite her initial resistance to the move, she loved their new apartment. Most evenings found her curled up next to Rand, watching movies until she drifted off to sleep. The warmth of him, the comfort of his solid form, wound about hers was almost bittersweet. Yet, she wouldn't trade it for the world. She had only known such companionship with Dani and had never expected to find it again and settle into this very normal, healthy relationship.

A knock brought her out of her thoughts, a short warning before the door opened. "Ellette, I hope you don't mind. It was pouring out there, so I brought home a couple of friends from the park to dry off."

Behind Rand came a soggy Jessie, a familiar sight in their new home. The third, lanky form, though was foreign, yet strangely familiar. Ellette found herself staring as Rand took the stranger's coat. "Would you mind getting a couple of towels?" Rand called to her, shaking her out of her trance.

"Oh, yeah, right..." Ellette scrambled for the linen closet, fumbling through the towels to find their least stained and threadbare offerings. Rand took them happily, plopping one directly over Jessie's soggy mass of curls. She was petite, almost tiny. It was hard not to treat her like a child when the opportunity struck. Ellette handed the last towel to the newcomer, the lanky boy, doing her best not to stare.

"Your name wouldn't happen to be Boris, would it?" she asked as he worked to dry his hair and hung the towel around his shoulders.

"Yeah, it is." He gave her a slight quirk of a smile. "Do I know you?"

"I thought I recognized you. I doubt you'll remember me." Ellette shrugged. "Though I've been wanting to thank."

"Thank me? For what?" he laughed.

His smile was contagious and she grinned back. "It's silly, I know, but you bought me a sandwich, almost a year ago.."

"Ah! I think I remember you now. From the cafe, right? Don't mention it. I got everything half off on my tab anyway."

"Way to cheapen the chivalrous gesture," Rand chimed in. He knew the story, though it was on from before their time together. "So this is the infamous Boris." He raised an eyebrow at Ellette. "So you found him. I suppose he wasn't some figment of a dream."

Boris glanced from the tall, dark, and wiry built Rand to the pale, willowy woman. "Wait, infamous...?"

Jessie pulled the towel from her head before shrugging. Rand gave him a reassuring clap on the shoulder. "Just a joke between us. Make yourself at home."

Ellette laughed and took Boris by the elbow, directing him to the worn-out couch draped with a sheet. "All this time I'd been hoping I'd run into you, and you found me. How did you meet Jessie and Rand anyway?"

Boris settled on to the couch somewhat hesitantly. "I'm doing some research on buskers and street living. I'm more focused on those who actually live on the streets, but the buskers are a little easier to approach."