Millie's Flying Disk

By LightBlueYoshi

It was another bright and beautiful morning in the park in the mountains. Millie, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, made a perfect flying leap to catch her bright blue disc. +

Except when she tried to grab it, it bounced out of her mouth. Again.

"Hahaha!" the mean Pomeranian, Holly, laughed. She was all white and fluffy with a sparkly golden collar. "You still can't catch a disc! What kind of dog can't catch a disc?"

Millie dived for the disc and returned it to her owner. She picked it up and threw it again. Millie leaped for it, but the disc flew right past her mouth.

Holly continued laughing. "I bet even a cat, of all things, could catch a disc better than you!"

Millie turned to Holly. "And I suppose you're perfect at catching discs?" She sarcastically said.

Holly smiled and proudly stood tall. "Indeed. In fact, my owner is taking me to a flying disc competition today! I'm sure to win the $10,000 prize!"

Millie stared at her. That was a lot of money!

The sun flashed off of Holly's collar and into Millie's eyes. As she squinted, she wondered if it was made of actual gold. Millie's plain blue collar was shabby compared to it.

Holly's owner was very rich. They had a huge mansion, and Holly was the only pet, meaning she had everything to herself.

Millie was also the only pet, but her owner was far from rich. They lived in a very tiny, old house that hadn't had repairs in many years. Millie didn't get the luxury Holly received, but still loved her owner.

Holly smirked and walked off to her owner.

Millie tried to catch her disc again.

She only caught it twice, and never while jumping.

To make her already bad day worse, Millie was worried for her owner.

She watched her in concern. Her owner seemed stressed as she stared at her small, old computer's screen. Several papers were scattered next to it.

When one of them fell, Millie went to it.

A dog catching a disc in mid-air was on the cover, and in big words it announced "BIG FLYING DISC COMPETITION! ALL DOGS ACCEPTED! $10,000 GRAND PRIZE!"

Holly had been telling the truth! But why would her owner have this? Millie could barely catch a disc...

Her owner stood up. "Let's go." She said.

Millie was puzzled. Go where? They had just returned from the park.

They got in the car and drove for a while. Millie watched the mountains go by. Finally, they stopped at a outdoor area that looked a little bit like the park, but she didn't recognize it.

Her owner put her harness and leash on before walking her to the place. A crowd was gathered around a grassy area. Millie saw a poster with the dog catching the disc and she realized they were at the disc competition!

After talking with several people, Millie's owner brought her to the beginning of the grassy area.

To her dismay, she heard a sneer and saw Holly. "Of all the dogs I was expecting to see, it most certainly hadn't been you!"

"My owner brought me here--"

Holly cut her off. "Ha! I know why now! You two are greedy little losers! Only here for the money, instead of to show true skill you worked hard for! Not that you'll ever be good enough to actually catch a disc even if you tried!"