✧₁

chapter | one

From the earliest moments that you could remember, you had always been alone.

It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, per se. You've never been bothered by it. In fact, you enjoyed your own company much more than any other. You had no memories of a family, and you never had the experience of friendship. Your family abandoned you far before you could remember. In Maplewood Valley, the village you called home, you grew to hate the company of others, and usually avoided them. The old lady of the village did her best to look after you— whether that was leaving food at your door, or leaving you jewel. This was your normal— that is, until an unfortunate event drastically changed your life.

The dragon attack.

It seemed to happen in the blink of an eye— the pitch-black dragon swooping over the village, ravaging through the houses with ease. You were frozen in fear, witnessing the death that overtook the village. The familiar faces you recognized throughout the streets laying still, their bodies cold. All you could do was run— run far away from the death and destruction that consumed your home.

What followed was your faithful encounter with Ryūjin; the water dragon god.

You believed dragons to be a myth, but after the obliteration of your village, you knew anything was possible. Ryūjin absolutely terrified you, but he displayed good intentions, and a caring heart. Ryūjin had taught you more than you could recall. He taught you the feeling of love, and what it felt like to have family. He taught you to be polite, have manners, and more importantly, to survive. He taught you the ancient art of water dragon slaying magic.

It was an ancient form lost magic. The magic was strong enough to kill dragons— gods, possibly. You had trained under Ryūjin for five years, growing stronger day by day. He was quite proud of your strength, even at such a young age. He could see your potential as a full-fledged dragon slayer.

Yet, Ryūjin chose to abandon you.

On July 7, 777, he disappeared without a trace. Ryūjin betrayed you. He left without a word, and that broke your heart. For years, you travelled across the land, searching for somewhere— anywhere else— to call home. You longed for that once familiar feeling, and one day, your search had finally come to an end. You had found yourself at the gates of a guild.

Phantom Lord; the most infamous guild in Oak Town.

Of course, deep inside, you knew they were terrible people. Despite that, their criminal record wasn't much of a problem for you. They provided you with food, shelter, and a place to call home. They took advantage of your magic, despite not being fully developed, but you didn't care. They gave you the attention and praise that you craved. Much to your dismay, another dragon slayer had been recruited into the guild. Gajeel; an iron dragon slayer. You seemed to have been forgotten after the fact.

There was only one person you really spoke to— Juvia. She was always kind, despite being quiet, and maybe a bit strange. You weren't the best of friends, but she was the only one who was some-what sensible. Gajeel, on the other hand, was too full of himself to tolerate. You liked to keep your distance, since every time you interacted it was usually you butting heads. Your time at the guild didn't last that long, however. After a year of taking part in Phantom Lord's shenanigans, their reign of terror came to an end at the hands of Fairy Tail. Although your guild fought to the end, you found yourself cowering in the shadows, refusing to take part in the downfall of Phantom Lord.

Once again, your home had been destroyed.

You chose to abandon the guild, escaping before anyone could find you. You were distraught. It was your fault— you blamed yourself for getting too comfortable. After a week of traveling outside of Oak Town, you were found by Makarov Dreyer, the guild master of Fairy Tail. Somehow, he convinced you to join Fairy Tail, your power and quiet personality intriguing him. He claimed to see something deep within yourself that not even you could see.

... And that's how you found yourself in the Fairy Tail guild hall; everyone's eyes glued to you.