Adventures in Breaking the Law

Start from the beginning

Glad to have a face to look for, Jennifer grinned. "I hope so. Thank you."

With that, Jennifer headed towards the door Linda had directed her to and entered, immediately noticing how empty it was. Out of thirty seats, only two were filled, but it was quite possible that the physics class was one of the closest to the social subjects.

Seeing the teacher behind the desk positioned at the head of the class, Jennifer wandered over to him. "Excuse me?," she spoke, making who she presumed to be Mr Sanders to look up. "I'm Jennifer Jones, I believe I'm in your class this period."

"I don't think so," he replied, peering at a sheet of paper with the help of a pair of glasses. "You're not on my register."

"Oh, the reception said something about that." She paused in fake recollection, trying her very best to sell her lie. "The system keeps crashing when they try to add or take someone off of it for some reason, said it might take a while to get fixed."

Jennifer bit her tongue, waiting to be called out for delivering the worlds worst lie and promptly being kicked out of the school, but the teacher only shrugged. "That's what happens when you get new technology. It's great until its past its guarantee, then it starts to fall apart." He let out a chuckle before looking around the class. Pointing at a seat by the window he addressed Jennifer again. "You can sit in that seat over there. I'll bring you the books you need."

With a curt nod, Jennifer took a deep breath to calm her nerves as she sat in the seat and watched the rest of the class trickle in. She was going to have to get better at this part of her plan, as she still had at least five classes left to carry out the same procedure in. As it turned out, breaking the law was a lot harder than the media led people to believe.

|☆| ~ |☆| ~ |☆|

Unlike physics, geography went on and on, to the point it seemed like Jennifer was going to die of old age in the class. Luckily though, the class had been dismissed before her skin could wrinkle and she hadn't wasted a moment in getting down to the lunch hall. However, she had vastly underestimated just how many people attended the school.

Thousands of faces were crammed together, and even though she was a Junior, standing alone with a lunch tray Jennifer felt like the smallest person in the school, like ant about to be crushed under a boot. She had seen this scene before and knew that if she didn't hurry up and find Linda she would be the laughing stock of the school. Teenagers were absolutely terrifying creatures, and despite being one of them, Jennifer felt rather quite scared.

Linda was nowhere to be seen, but someone else was. From across the giant opening, an arm waved back and forth, effectively catching Jennifer's attention. Connecting the arm to a body, Jennifer identified the person as Rebecca from the shopping mall a few weeks back.

Not wasting anytime in glancing behind her to make it was in fact her that was being signalled, Jennifer headed for the table, her beeline ending up being zigzagged as she navigated her way through the countless tables, stopping a mere foot from the table Rebecca, along with a few others, sat.

"I was wondering when I was going to see you!," Rebecca beamed. "Come sit with us."

Jennifer gratefully took the seat beside her, sliding her lunch tray onto the table and dropping her bag onto the floor under her feet.

"Hey," Rebecca raised her voice slightly to catch the attention of the rest of the table, who had, up to this moment, been talking within themselves. "This is Jennifer, she's new here."