Chapter Twelve - The Oak Tree

Start from the beginning

...In Eressëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,

Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!

Still she did not see him, as she had her head turned up to the moon, but she let out a deep sigh, relaxed and yet, it seemed to him, terribly sad. Just like at their first meeting he felt a need to let her know that he was witness to her feelings, so he spoke up, knowing that she would recognise his voice.

"Well met, Keren, daughter of Maleron," he said softly.

Her head spun quickly round at the sound of her name, as he had expected, but he hoped that she would recognise him and feel at ease, rather than be wary.

Keren immediately recognised him, but she was not entirely at ease.

"Well met," she managed to say, after what felt like too long.

Legolas immediately regretted making his presence known, as the girl, apparently unbeknownst to her, had wet eyes and cheeks.

"My greatest apologies for disturbing you," he said. "I will leave you to your thoughts."

He gave a slight bow of his head and made to return to the camp, but to his surprise the girl sat up, and for one odd moment looked as if she wanted to run to him.

"No, don't go!" Keren said quickly. The last thing she wanted was for her thoughts to take over again. She was only just becoming aware of the tears she had shed, and she did not wish to be left  with only them for company, though she attempted to appear unbothered. "I mean, do not feel you have to go."

But then she realised she had just practically begged a stranger, and a decidedly strange stranger at that, to stay with her in this deserted spot.

"Although, go if you wish, of course," she ended lamely.

Legolas smiled. She was as awkward as he remembered.

"I shall stay a little while, with your permission", he said, respectfully keeping his distance.

Keren nodded and shifted a little. Legolas noticed her bare feet, which were now crossed beneath her, and how she nestled against the tree as if it comforted her. He hid a smile at how this girl claimed she had no connection with the elves.

"Much has changed since our last meeting," Legolas said, and Keren regarded the elf with surprise.

How did he know what had happened to her? Was he reading her mind?

Then she realised that of course he was not speaking of her unrequited love for Faramir and subsequent upheaval, but the far more important event of the destruction of Sauron and subsequent saving of Middle-earth...

Idiot, she thought, and almost laughed, which took her by surprise. She instead gave a wry smile and spoke true.

"I feel as if the whole world has changed."

Legolas was again confused by the sadness in her voice. Surely she was rejoicing, as all were, at the downfall of such great evil? He could see however, how overwhelming life must be for mortals – such a short time did they have to adapt to all the many twists and turns.

"The world is always changing," he said, "and we must do our best to keep up with it, or risk being lost."

Keren was silent again as she took in his words, which echoed her thoughts of late.

Legolas sensed that something of great import must have befallen her as he watched her face grow solemn and sad. Tears threatened to spill over and run down her cheeks once more, and she hastily looked down in embarrassment. He felt the need to say something to comfort her even though his advice would be vague, for he did not know what had befallen her, nor would he ask.